Vitamin C has a reputation for being able to fight infections, which is why many people take supplements or try to eat foods rich in this vitamin when they feel like they are coming down with a cold.
In fact, just how effective it is in treating colds is still a popular subject for debate. Some experts, like researchers at the Mayo Clinic in the US, say vitamin C doesn’t appear to prevent colds, although it may be able to reduce its duration.
But it seems it may have benefits when it comes to a variety of health conditions. Taken in high enough doses, vitamin C may be able to help treat a range of viral infections, from hepatitis to pneumonia, and may stop children from picking up illnesses such as chickenpox and mumps, says Dr Thomas Levy, a US cardiologist turned vitamin C researcher.
He believes it can also be used to combat major degenerative diseases like arthritis, Alzheimer’s, coronary heart disease and cancer.
“People who take regular doses of vitamin C live on average six years longer than people who don’t and have less chance of dying from a degenerative disease,” he says.
Here are 15 fascinating facts about this common vitamin:
1 / 0
2 / 0
3 / 0
4 / 0
5 / 0
6 / 0
7 / 0
8 / 0
9 / 0
10 / 0
11 / 0
12 / 0
13 / 0
14 / 0
15 / 0
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveToday 2:28pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 1:00pm
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 11:00am
- WeddingsArt Green and Matilda Rice marry in a stunning Waiheke wedding - and announce they're expecting a baby!
Now To LoveYesterday 10:10am
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019