With Christmas Day behind us for another year, many will be champing at the bit to return the house to its normal pre-Christmas state. Others will be reluctant to take down the Christmas tree and decorations, and accept that it's all over.
But is there a 'correct' and officially recognised day on which you should take down the tree? A quick and very unofficial office poll has some of us believing it's bad luck to have the tree up after New Year's Day, while others consider it ominous to take it down too early. We decided to settle the debate - and who better to get the truth from than the church, right?
So. According to Christianity the 12th night (12 days after Christmas) represents the true end of the festive period - making January 5 or January 6 the correct day to take down the tree.
For the Church of England, January 5 marks the twelfth night, although other Christian groups believe January 6 is correct – because it is the 12th day after Christmas. We guess you can go with whichever one you prefer.
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020