This year I took up running. One of our daughters is a swimmer, which requires 4.45am wake-ups three times a week. I figured while she's training, I might as well do something useful too, then after a few longer runs, I thought, 'Why not do a marathon?' There's so much involved in running a marathon and a lot of science behind it.
I've learned what the body needs to run 42km, all about my heart rate – and I've discovered compression tights! Some weeks are demanding, especially when you need to get a 30km run in on a weekend, but I've enjoyed pushing myself and becoming stronger for it.
People say a marathon is all about mental strength – and they're right. It's been so refreshing doing something just for me. It's been good for the kids too; they can think the world revolves around them!
This Christmas I'll be quietly proud to have set a challenging goal and achieved it. I'll still take it easy on Christmas Day; I'm pretty good at indulging and relaxing, so that won't be a problem. I'm most looking forward to having some downtime with my family.
The kids are at a good age; they're a bit older and easier to organise, and having a 14-year-old means a babysitter's on hand! We often have Christmas at our house and this year will be the same. My husband Ross is a great cook, so he's good on the ham. My mum prepares a roast lamb, I do potatoes, and the rest of the family bring delicious dishes too.
We try to keep it easy. For a while when the kids were growing up, we used to get KFC every year. Someone decided it wasn't the healthiest option – but it was popular. It's been a super-busy year with my running, an election to cover at work and the kids at new schools. But it's been great. I'm grateful and feel very lucky all round.
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019