They often get to try all the latest make-up before anyone else in the country, have industry experts at their fingertips and if you're ever wondering what the "best product for [insert problem]" is, then you can bet they'll have the answer.
It's safe to say, beauty editors have a lot of knowledge. We take a look inside the make-up routines of a few of New Zealand's top beauty eds.
*The below doesn't account for refills throughout the year and of course, being a beauty editor, this is always changing!
Megan Bedford, Beauty Editor - Fashion Quarterly, Miss FQ & Australian Women's Weekly
Megan's beauty mantra:
"For work days I wear a full face of make-up and tend to go with full-coverage products with great staying power. I generally wear bronze tones and warm my face up with blush, I have this routine down to being able to apply in 10 mins but some days I'll do something playful like a glitter eye or a deep red liquid lip colour. On the weekends I'll wear a quicker version of this face, usually just some concealer, mascara and a bit of blush."
- Coola Daydream Mineral Primer ($65) or Too Faced Hangover Primer ($50).
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer ($23.99).
- Bobbi Brown Skin Long-Wear Weightless Foundation ($86) applied with Tarte The Buffer Airbrush Finish Foundation brush ($58).
- Kat Von D Shade + Light Eye Contour Palette ($73) applied with Bobbi Brown Blush Brush ($110).
- M.A.C Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Groundwork ($48).
- Tom Ford Private Shadow Vinyl Eyeshadow in Warm Leatherette ($58).
- Maybelline the Burgundy Bar Palette ($32.99).
- M.A.C Eye Shader Shadow Brush ($72).
- M.A.C Tapered Blending Brush ($80).
- CliniqueFIT Workout 24-Hour Mascara ($46).
- Hourglass Arch Brow Volumising Fibre Gel ($44).
- Billion Dollar Brows Brows on Point Micro Pencil ($25).
- Lanolips Tinted Balm SPF30 in Perfect Nude ($17.50).
TOTAL: from $839.50
Amy Houlihan, Beauty Editor – Woman's Day
Amy's beauty mantra:
"I'd say I wear more make-up on a daily basis than most women on their wedding day. Don't know if this is amazing or tragic."
"I rotate three at the moment!"
- Dermalogica Age Smart Skin Perfect Primer SPF30 ($98), Elizabeth Arden Flawless Start Instant Perfecting Makeup Primer ($61) or Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer Radiance ($78).
"Wow, also rotating three of these… perk of the job!"
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation ($69), Bobbi Brown Skin Long-Wear Weightless Foundation ($86) or MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF15 ($60), applied with Bobbi Brown Full Coverage Face Brush, ($80).
- Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Concealer ($23.99).
- Estee Lauder Perfectionist Set + Highlight Powder Duo ($88) applied with Nude by Nature Mineral Brush ($22.95).
- Benefit Hoola Bronzer ($54) applied with Nude by Nature Contour Brush ($29.95).
Smashbox LA Lights Blendable Lip and Cheek Colour ($56) blended with Nude by Nature Angled Blush Brush (29.95).
- Nude by Nature Touch of Glow Highlight Stick ($29.95).
- theBalm Mary Lou-Manizer ($49.99) applied with Wet n Wild Proline Tapered Highlighting Brush ($13.99).
- Benefit BADgal Bang! Mascara ($45) or L'Oréal Paris Paradise Extatic Mascara ($25.99).
- theBalm Voyage Palette ($69.99) or M.A.C Limited Edition Luck and Fortune Eye Shadow Palette ($80), applied with Nude by Nature Base Shadow Brush ($22.95) and Smashbox Crease Eye Brush ($56).
- The BrowGal Skinny Eyebrow Pencil ($44.95).
"I like something understated for my lips."
- Burt's Bees Lip Crayon ($18) in Sedona Sands and always Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Nourishing Lip Balm SPF 20 ($43).
TOTAL: from $932.71
Tracy Davis, Beauty Editor – New Zealand Woman's Weekly
Tracy's beauty mantra:
"On the days I'm in the office I'm literally putting my face on at 5.45am so my make-up needs to be long-lasting because apart from touching up my lippy, I don't tend to have time to look at it again. I definitely like to put a decent amount of eye make-up on, albeit neutral shades but I'm much more adventurous with my lipstick – swapping between creamy nudes to pretty pinks or a classic red. On the weekend I'm more likely to just wear tinted moisturiser, a bit of bronzer and lip balm – but my lashes would never be without mascara!"
"I tend to load my skin with serums underneath my foundation instead of primer but I do like to pat Benefit The POREfessional ($58) on top of my finished make-up here and there to blur imperfections!"
"I always like to test out new foundations and often change it up!"
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Nude Water Fresh Makeup SPF25 ($69) or Skin Long-Wear Weightless Foundation ($86) – "I'm alternating between these and loving both. I'm a bit of a fingers girl when it comes to application but I do give it a once over with the Glam by Manicare Buffing Foundation Brush (29.99)."
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer ($23.99) under my eyes.
- A light dusting just where I need it of M.A.C. Pro Longwear Pressed Powder ($52) using the sponge provided.
- A quick brush over with Mecca Max Sunlit Skin Bronzer ($24).
- Hourglass Ambient Strobe Lighting Blush in Euphoric Fusion ($59) on my cheeks.
- My go-to palette for a really neutral look is the Naked 2 Urban Decay Ultimate Basics Eyeshadow Palette ($99).
- Bobbi Brown Smokey Eye Kajal Liner in Black Coffee on my lash line ($60).
- Elizabeth Arden Grand Entrance Mascara ($60).
- Benefit Gimme Brow ($45) followed by a few strokes of The BrowGal Skinny Eyebrow Pencil ($44.95).
- Karen Murrell Natural Lipstick in Pink Starlet ($30).
TOTAL: from $671.93
Erin Berryman, Beauty Editor – Good Health & BEAUTYDIRECTORY.co.nz
Erin's beauty mantra:
"I'm not a morning person, so on weekdays I've perfected my make-up to a fine art. It never really exceeds 10 minutes and I generally do the same thing every day except for my lip colour. On the weekends, I make way more of an effort as I'm generally out and about with friends. I love eye shadow and highlighter – the more sparkle the better!"
Yves Saint Laurent Touche eclat Blur Primer ($93) or Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer ($76), applied with M.A.C Short Duo Fibre Brush ($94).
"It depends what I'm doing but during the week I prefer to wear something lighter like a BB cream."
- Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector BB Cream Oil-Free ($19).
- L'Oreal Paris Age Perfect Foundation (42.99) mixed with the Lancome Custom Glow Drops in Rose Glow ($55), applied with Nude by Nature Liquid Foundation Brush ($24.95).
- Using the enclosed sponge, I then apply the Elizabeth Arden Flawless Finish Everyday Perfection Bouncy Makeup ($79), just where I need extra coverage.
"My biggest beauty editor learning has to be the importance of blending! Buffing in foundation really makes it look like a second skin."
- Simply Essential Pro Series Large Oval Brush ($26.99) to blend.
- Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer ($47), applied with fingers.
- NARS Laguna Bronzing Powder ($63) applied with the Benefit Hoola Brush ($42).
- Too Faced Sweethearts Perfect Flush Blush ($47) applied with Wet n Wild Proline Blush Brush ($19.99).
"I'm addicted to illuminator/highlighter – my favourites are the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal ($72) and Too Faced Love Light Prismatic Highlighter ($47)."
- Urban Decay Original Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($39).
- Revlon ColorStay Crème Eye Shadow in Crème Brulee ($18), applied with Natio Double-Ended Eyeshadow Brush ($17).
"I generally wear a bronze, sparkly eyeshadow on the crease, which I also carry through along my lower lash line."
- Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow in Bronzed Bell ($38).
"I find black eyeliner to harsh so never wear this during the day. I always opt for a chocolate or smoky taupe."
- L'Oreal Paris Infallible Gel Paint Crayon Liner in Taupe of the World ($24.99).
- Smashbox Photo Finish Lash Primer ($39).
- Benefit BADgal Bang! Mascara ($45).
- Benefit Goof Proof Brow Pencil ($44).
- Benefit 24-HR Brow Setter ($44).
"Changes so much but my go-to for everyday wear is the Too Faced Melted Liquified Long Wear Matte Lipstick ($33)."
"To set, I spritz with Alpha H Daily Essential Vitamin Mist ($49.95)."
TOTAL: from $1073.91
Tamsin Marshall, Beauty Editor – Simply You & NEXT
Tamsin's beauty mantra:
"I don't have a lot of time in the mornings once I've got the little one ready for school so a five minute face is my go-to."
"I like to use an illuminating balm –especially by the end of the week when I'm feeling more tired."
- Bobbi Brown Extra Illuminating Moisture Balm ($120) or Dermalogica HydraBlur ($94) to smooth out the pores.
"I'm using two different foundations at the moment – loving them both."
- Bobbi Brown Skin Long-Wear Weightless Foundation ($86) and Clinique Superbalanced Silk Makeup SPF 15 ($65) applied with fingers.
- Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat ($69) under the eyes.
"On cheeks, I either go quite light with M.A.C Mineralize Blush in Warm Soul ($54) or bold and pink with M.A.C Powder Blush in Love Token ($48)."
- Benefit Watt's Up! ($57) to highlight.
"On the eyes I prefer neutral shades."
- M.A.C Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Bare Study ($48) on the lid up to the crease, applied with M.A.C Eye Shader Shadow Brush ($72).
- MAC Eye Kohl in Coffee ($36) along the upper and lower lash line, blended with M.A.C Precise Liner Brush ($46).
"I then smudge it out with a neutral shade of shadow like Urban Decay Naked Eyeshadow Palette ($91)."
- Maybelline Colossal Big Shot Mascara ($21.59).
"I can never go without doing my brows; in fact they are the first thing I fill in after applying foundation."
- The BrowGal Skinny Eyebrow Pencil ($44.95) and then I set with M.A.C Brow Set ($36)
"I have a variety of favourite lipsticks on the go – some days I'll wear a neutral gloss like Bare Minerals Gen Nude Matte Liquid Lip Colour in Can't Even ($28) or other days I'll go for a bright pink or coral lippie."
Total: from $932.54