Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced that she and her partner Clarke Gayford are expecting a baby.
In a post on her Instagram account, the 37-year-old wrote:
"And we thought 2017 was a big year! Clarke and I are really excited that in June our team will expand from two to three, and that we'll be joining the many parents out there who wear two hats. I'll be Prime Minister AND a mum, and Clarke will be "first man of fishing" and stay at home dad.
"I think it's fair to say that this will be a wee one that a village will raise, but we couldn't be more excited. I know there will be lots of questions, and we'll answer all of them (I can assure you we have a plan all ready to go!) But for now, bring on 2018."
Winston Peters will be acting Prime Minister for six weeks after she has her baby in June.
"Mr Peters and I have a great relationship, and I know that together we'll make this period work. I will make arrangements for appropriate Ministers to act in my other portfolios over the six weeks I am away from Parliament.
"At the end of my leave I will resume all Prime Ministerial duties."
Ms Ardern said they first knew of the pregnancy in mid-October, "but as many couples do in the early stages, we kept it to ourselves".
Last year, in the space of a few short months, the passionate politician – whose sole reason for joining the Labour Party at 17 was to tackle child poverty – rose from list MP to leader of the Labour party, and then Prime Minister of New Zealand.
She now can look forward to another big role in 2018 - motherhood!
Ardern created headlines around the world in 2017 when she took TV presenter Mark Richardson to task over him asking her her baby plans.
She said it was "totally unacceptable" to say a woman should have to answer that question in the workplace.
"It is a woman's decision about when they choose to have children, it should not predetermine whether or not they are given a job, or have job opportunities."
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019