Move over, Martha Stewart, there's a new domestic-goddess jailbird behind the bars. Convicted of murdering her stepdaughter and at least ten other women, Rosemary West is one of Britain's most infamous serial killers, but apparently, her sponge cake is also killer.
She and her husband, Fred West, were arrested for murder and sexual assault in 1994 after a police search of their home found human remains and signs of torture. Fred committed suicide in prison while awaiting trial after admitting that he had murdered as many as 30 people.
Rosemary initially denied any involvement, however the circumstantial evidence was enough to convict her for the murder of her stepdaughter as well as all of the women murdered at her home. At the end of sentencing, the judge told her "If attention is paid to what I think, you will never be released." She has since announced that she does not intend to appeal her conviction, though she continues to maintain her innocence.
Fast forward to 2018, Rosemary has won the surprising accolade of Low Newton Prison (Durham, England) bake-off winner with a presumably light, fluffy, moist and delectably jammy Victoria sponge cake.
According to a prison source, the now 64 year old West often uses her baking skills to win people over and draw attention away from her a serial killer status. "There are some very violent women on the wing and a lot of them are very aggressive towards West because of her crimes, but she tends to defuse situations by offering other prisoners cakes and biscuits."
The tactic of food for peace may have merit: prison charity the Clink that trains prisoners in the culinary arts and other food service skills sees its graduates 49.6% less likely to offend than those who did not take part in the program.
The impromptu competition was judged by fellow inmates and though we are sure the winning treat was delicious, we wouldn't want to give second place to a convicted serial killer.
We wonder if Nigella Lawson would be up for playing the lead in a movie adaption...
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveToday 2:28pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 1:00pm
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 11:00am
- WeddingsArt Green and Matilda Rice marry in a stunning Waiheke wedding - and announce they're expecting a baby!
Now To LoveYesterday 10:10am
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019