After moving into a new home on her own, former Shortland Street actress Teuila Blakely knew she wanted to get a dog when suddenly Missy and Melo turned up on her doorstep one day.
"My best friend lives at Waihi on a farm, and there are lots of dogs out there and she ended up with these two puppies that she couldn't keep," explains Teuila.
"They had nowhere to go and she was desperate for someone to take them. I just looked at them and thought, 'How can I say no?'"
Fast forward two years and Teuila couldn't be more smitten.
"They are quite like their names," tells the 44-year-old Power Rangers and Filthy Rich actress. "Usually Melo is quite mellow and Missy is quite mischievous. That's pretty much their personalities!"
A self-confessed cat person before Missy and Melo, they're the first dogs Teuila's ever had – and she admits it took some adjustment.
"I got them at eight weeks old and it did take some getting used to. But dogs just become such a deep part of your life and being – it's wonderful. They have this comforting presence in your home that you never had before. It's the feeling you never knew you always wanted. I'm so thankful for them."
- FamilyArt and Matilda Green open up about becoming parents and why they're keeping it real on social media
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- MindDo you have FOBO? Why the fear of better options could be fuel for anxiety
Good Health ChoicesToday 12:00pm
- FamilyA mum's worst nightmare: 'I saw my son floating lifeless'
Woman's DayToday 10:00am
- MindDiane Keaton opens up about her heartache over her brother's mental health struggles in new book
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:30am
- RoyalsPrince Harry teases an upcoming collaboration with Jon Bon Jovi via an amusing text conversation
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Career20 career tips that will make 2020 your best year at work ever
- RoyalsThe Royal Family's birthday message to Prince Andrew has been met with controversy
Now To LoveFeb 20, 2020
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry have confirmed more details about their future
Now To LoveFeb 20, 2020
- Real LifeThe 2011 Christchurch earthquake struck the day after my birthday and changed my life forever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 20, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a brilliant Banana Boat prize pack worth $100!
Good Health ChoicesFeb 20, 2020