*We bought a car from a dealer on a hire purchase deal. When we got home we looked closer at the contract and realised we’d have difficulty making the repayments.As the hire purchase agreement said we had a three-day cooling off period, we decided to return the car and call off the deal. But the dealer said even if we didn’t go ahead with the hire purchase deal we still had to buy the car. We think he’s trying to con us.*
Sadly, he’s right. He’s not trying to con you. The “cooling off” provisions apply only to the hire purchase agreement.
It’s good that you have recognised you wouldn’t be able to make the repayments as per that particular contract. But now you have to find another way to finance the car.
Maybe the hire purchase firm can reorganise the contract to suit you better? Maybe the car dealer could do a deal on a slightly cheaper car.
If you have a good relationship with a bank, I would take the papers there and see if they can do you a cheaper loan. Usually they can.
But you will have to show them that you have a reliable income and that your pay goes through the bank. I hope you didn’t forget to cancel the hire purchase contract within the three days.
Until I looked into this, I also would have thought you could return the car, so thanks for raising a very important issue around credit contracts.
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveToday 2:28pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 1:00pm
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 11:00am
- WeddingsArt Green and Matilda Rice marry in a stunning Waiheke wedding - and announce they're expecting a baby!
Now To LoveYesterday 10:10am
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019