Back when Terena and Tony Anderson had three young sons and Tony was a fireman, the couple were constantly building homes.
"We moved every nine months for six years when the kids were little. During Tony's days off, we would build a home, move in, complete it, sell it, rent and do it all over again," recalls Terena.
They estimate the 378sqm four-bedroom Kumeu home, complete with movie room, covered portico and swimming pool backing on to a pine forest, which they built and moved into two years ago is their last family home. It's a house that works perfectly for get-togethers with their seven grandchildren.
It was inevitable the couple ended up in the construction business, owning architectural design and build company Maddren Homes. It's a family affair with their sons – two qualified builders and one electrician – now involved as shareholders. With experience building their own homes and their business, which sees an average of 32 homes built each year, they had a good idea of what they wanted.
"You always say, 'Oh, I should have done that,' but not so much here," says Tony, the company's director. The Taranaki pine weatherboard and black paint stained vertical cedar home was meant to be their last build, but with their sons moving away from the area, they're not so sure now.
Tony's favourite part of the house is being able to look out of the Vantage Residential Series windows and sliding doors across to the pine forest.
"Tony is big on loyalty and Vantage has been very good to us over the years. Their products are beautiful," says Terena. "I don't think you'd find better products. These windows have finer lines so you're not closing the views and there are so many colours. We chose the black profile. It's really popular at the moment and has given the exterior a bit of a zap, plus it doesn't show any muck on the window sills."
They also wanted leather granite worktops for the kitchen. It's a luxurious material that elevates the humble Melteca joinery and transforms it into more than the sum of its parts.
"If you spend a little more on the small details, you can get away with economising elsewhere," says Terena.
That's sage advice from the couple who have been building for themselves and others most of their lives.
See more of this home at vantage.co.nz/serial-builders
Photography by: Swell Productions
- RoyalsPrincess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi welcome their first child, a baby girl
Now To LoveSep 21, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island's Tegan Yorwarth's message to internet trolls
Woman's DaySep 20, 2021
- TVBlack Ferns star Huriana Manuel's Olympic heartbreak
Woman's DaySep 15, 2021
- TVProud Dad Art Green: 'My little girl is just so special'
Woman's DaySep 13, 2021
- Celebrity NewsAngela Bloomfield's tears and fears: 'I haven't given up on love!'
Woman's DaySep 07, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJoe Naufahu's heartbreak: 'I'm doing this for Mum'
Woman's DaySep 06, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi parents nightmare: 'Our son should still be here'
Woman's DaySep 03, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi Paralympic kayaker Corbin Hart's unstoppable romance
Woman's DayAug 28, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island hosts Bree Tomasel and Matt Chisholm's special bond
Woman's DayAug 27, 2021
- Real LifeTVNZ reporter Michelle Prendiville opens up about her alopecia
Woman's DayAug 27, 2021