Here at Now To Love we're always looking out for the latest health and fitness trends. From candlelit and hot yoga à la Meghan Markle to barre classes and HIIT training, we love knowing what new ways of exercising people are coming up with in the name of good health.
Some of these ventures are practical and fun while others are... a little odd - we think some of the weirdest health trends this year were cockroach milk and goat yoga.
Some trends become permanent fixtures in the health and fitness world (hello F45), while others don't gain enough traction and are slowly phased out. To stay ahead of the curve (and to find out which exercises we'll be doing before brunch on Sundays next year) we spoke to nutritionist, trainer and co-founder of Voome, Amelia Phillips, about what to expect in the health and fitness world next year.
We also asked her how we can motivate ourselves to exercise when we really can't be bothered, because there's no point knowing the latest trends if we can't bring ourselves to exercise!
What I'm seeing more and more of is fitness retreats.
Health retreats are nothing new but these more intense - fitness focussed retreats are popping up all over the place! Whether it's Bali, Byron, fitness and sun or fitness and snow, what a great excuse for a trip away.
They combine daily workouts with nature-based activities such as surfing and hiking. Some also include seminars and pamper treatments. Sign me up!
The other trend I see is what I call 'bespoke fitness' where people are taking their health in their own hands, using digital products like smart watches and online programs to design a bespoke regime for them.
Thrash and smash workouts continue to lose popularity. No longer are people feeling like they need to wreck themselves every workout to get results.
Smart training, incorporating mobility, strength, fitness with ample recovery continues to grow. Turmeric lattes are here for a while longer, and so are high waisted gym pants, thank goodness!
First, go into 'Robot mode'. Don't start the internal head chatter (should I, shouldn't I? It's cold, I'm tired blah blah), just go into robot mode, don't think, just do. Even if your heart isn't in it, you're still going to get it done. Before you know it, the workout will be over and you'll feel great!
Second, join a group, challenge or program: When the gloss of exercise starts wearing off, it's the perfect time to join a time based program. It motivates, creates team camaraderie and gives you something specific to work towards.
Amelia Phillips is a registered nutritionist, exercise scientist, co founder of Voome (everything you need to live a healthy fit and mindful life). She is a busy Mum of four under the age of five and on a mission to empower Australians and Kiwis to live their best life!
- RoyalsInside a play date with Prince George and Princess Charlotte at Kensington Palace
Now To LoveToday 3:40pm
- PetsThe online pet product delivery service that just made your life easier
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayToday 7:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ brides share the details on their wedding dresses
Woman's DayYesterday 4:45pm
- TVThe one thing Jodie Rimmer did on Celebrity Treasure Island that her children made her apologise for
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- At homeThe sensitive skin laundry hack that makes your clothes soft and speeds up drying time
Now To LoveYesterday 8:24am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DayYesterday 8:21am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan shares an adorable unseen photo from Archie’s christening for Prince Harry’s birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- TVThe top five moments from Celebrity Treasure Island this week
Now To LoveSep 15, 2019
- CareerHelen Mirren on why being old is 'cool' and marriage is great
The Australian Women's WeeklySep 15, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a $500 Countdown voucher to launch your Disney Word tile collection
Woman's DaySep 15, 2019
- BodyDWTS winner Loryn Reynolds' sister can finally dance again after losing a whopping 70kg
Woman's DaySep 14, 2019