If, like us, you were devastated when Campbell Live was taken off air, then we have some good news for you. Because John Campbell is about to make his return to TV. That's right. The much-loved broadcaster has accepted a job with TVNZ as a presenter and journalist. And he can't wait to get back into it.
"After 20 years of sitting in a studio five nights a week, I'm really excited by the prospect of spending more time in the field." he said. "I love getting out, meeting people and sharing their stories. I can't wait to get to work."
"I know John's excited to be returning to TV – it's where he's in his element," TVNZ's Head of News and Current Affairs John Gillespie said in a statement. "In the field and in the studio, we'll be showcasing John's extraordinary range and versatility on a big canvas."
The veteran broadcaster has been given a roving brief, says Gillespie. "John will be a high impact player for 1 NEWS. He'll file for news and longer pieces for Sunday. And he's likely to step in to present Tonight, Breakfast, Seven Sharp, Sunday, Q + A* and 1 NEWS from time to time."
Campbell began his television reporting career in 1991 when he joined TV3. He was appointed evening news anchor in 1998 alongside Carol Hirschfeld before launching Campbell Live in 2005 in the hotly contested 7pm current affairs slot.
The show ran for 10 years before being taken off air in 2015 following a controversial review by Mediaworks. John's departure from TV3 was a blow for his colleagues, with 3News presenter Hilary Barry breaking down in tears live on air after a tribute was aired for John on his last day.
For the past two and half years he has hosted Radio New Zealand's weekday drive-time news programme Checkpoint.
We look forward to seeing John back on our TV screens!
- BodyBeyoncé reveals the post-birth, pre-Coachella diet she says she'll never go on again
Now To LoveToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsA never-before-seen video of Duchess Meghan during a charity trip to India has emerged
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- TVJohn Campbell is replacing Jack Tame on TVNZ's Breakfast show
Now To LoveToday 9:31am
- At homeFive ways to make every meal fabulous with Annabelle White
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- RoyalsMore details have been revealed about Prince William's visit to New Zealand next week
Now To LoveToday 8:30am
- BodyThe psychology behind why we binge eat and tools to help end the cycle for good
Now To LoveYesterday 4:20pm
- BodyThe developments in cancer research that are giving the experts hope
- Married at First SightMAFS' expert Mel Schilling admits drama comes into play in the matchmaking process
Woman's DayYesterday 10:30am
- RoyalsThe Queen and Prince Charles release emotional statements following the fire of Notre-Dame Cathedral
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- BodyThe vital things you should be doing to look after your heart
Good Health ChoicesApr 16, 2019
- RoyalsIs Duchess Meghan writing her own Instagram posts? These royal commentators think so
Now To LoveApr 16, 2019