The long-awaited fate of Campbell Live has been sealed, with John Campbell today choosing to leave the show and its broadcaster. The popular journalist and presenter has quit Mediaworks after the company decided to axe his show in favour of a new format.
After a six week review, Mediaworks have opted to replace Campbell Live with a revamped current affairs show four nights a week, similar in format to Seven Sharp with two co-hosts, and an entertainment show on Fridays.
Group Head of News, Mark Jennings, said Campbell was asked to co-host the new show, but opted to make a departure from the company entirely. "John has decided he wants to take a break from the job and we respect his decision," Jennings said. "The review has clearly shown us what's most relevant to our audience at 7pm is current affairs, but not Campbell Live as we know it. We will be bringing the best of Campbell Live over to the new show, but will be looking at a wider mix of stories."
It is expected the new current affairs show will launch in 6-8 weeks.
Mediaworks chief executive Mark Weldon told 3 News he wanted to pay tribute to Campbell. "He has made a huge contribution to TV3 and MediaWorks over the years, and I was hoping this would continue - which is why last November I offered John a three-year contract, which he did not sign. I respect John's decision not to continue at MediaWorks and wish him well."
- FitnessOrangetheory: The new fitness craze that's taking off in NZ
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- BodyBeyoncé reveals the post-birth, pre-Coachella diet she says she'll never go on again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsA never-before-seen video of Duchess Meghan during a charity trip to India has emerged
Now To LoveYesterday 10:00am
- TVJohn Campbell is replacing Jack Tame on TVNZ's Breakfast show
Now To LoveYesterday 9:31am
- At homeFive ways to make every meal fabulous with Annabelle White
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- BodyWellington woman's life-changing recovery after controversial multiple sclerosis treatment
Woman's DayYesterday 8:40am
- RoyalsMore details have been revealed about Prince William's visit to New Zealand next week
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- BodyThe psychology behind why we binge eat and tools to help end the cycle for good
Now To LoveApr 17, 2019
- BodyThe vital things you should be doing to look after your heart
Good Health ChoicesApr 16, 2019