How thoughtful! Queen Elizabeth is known for her very colorful wardrobe, but the 92-year-old monarch actually wears bright clothes for her royal fans. During The Queen at 90 documentary, the Queen's daughter-in-law Sophie, Countess of Wessex, revealed that Elizabeth chooses frocks in rainbow colors so people can easily see her while standing in a crowd of people.
"She needs to stand out for people to be able to say 'I saw the Queen.' Don't forget that when she turns up somewhere, the crowds are two, three, four, 10, 15 deep, and someone wants to be able to say they saw a bit of the Queen's hat as she went past," Sophie confessed.
And it's not just the Queen's outfits that require a lot of thought — Elizabeth carefully chooses each of her hats to match her rainbow of ensembles. "The Queen has always been aware that she needs to stand out from the crowd, and it is for this reason that millinery has always played an important role in her wardrobe," Caroline de Guitaut, the curator at the Royal Collection Trust, once told The New York Times.
"[The hats] enable people who want to catch a glimpse of her to spot her immediately. Almost every hat she wears is strategic, ensuring her face is fully visible but also framed in a range of styles over the years that were often considered very avant-garde for their day," de Guitaut explained. So cool, right?!
While the Queen's bold outfits range in color from red, blue, pink, and purple — did you know her favorite color is actually blue? — her shoes and purses are usually classic black. Interestingly, Elizabeth has carried the same black Launer handbag for decades and is thought to own around 200 of the exact same bag. She may be in her 90s, but the Queen will always be a style icon to us!
This article originally appeared on Closer Weekly.
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:42am