Royals

Duchess Meghan and Prince Harry have confirmed more details about their future

The couple will formally step back from March 31.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will formally step back from their royals as senior members of the royal family at the end of next month, it has been confirmed.
According to People, a spokesperson for Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan has announced from April 1, the agreement reached between the couple and the Queen will come into effect.
From the beginning of April Harry and Meghan will no longer represent the Queen and no longer hold their office at Buckingham Palace however the couple have agreed to a review of the agreement in 12 months' time.
"As there is no precedent for this new model of working and eventual financial independence, the Royal Family and The Sussexes have agreed to an initial 12-month review to ensure the arrangement works for all parties," the couple's spokesperson says.
"In addition to continuing to work closely with their existing patronages as they build a plan for engagements in the UK and the Commonwealth throughout the year, The Duke and Duchess have also been undertaking meetings as part of their ongoing work to establish a new non-profit organisation.
"The details of this new organisation will be shared later in the year."
The spokesperson explains the couple's new charitable organisation will follow similar themes to the work they have championed as working royals which includes "the Commonwealth, community, youth empowerment and mental health."
The couple's new non-profit organisation will focus on similar themes that they championed while in their roles as senior royals. (Image: Getty)
As first mentioned when the agreement was reached, Prince Harry's honorary military positions will not be used, however, he will retain the ranks of Major, Lieutenant Commander and Squadron Leader during the 12-month period.
Earlier this week it was reported the Queen has asked the couple to drop their 'Sussex Royal' branding, but according to the couple's spokesperson the discussion is still "ongoing".
While the couple had planned to name their new charitable organisation 'Sussex Royal, The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex', any changes to the couples 'brand' will be announced alongside the launch of their new non-profit organisation.
"As the Duke and Duchess are stepping back as senior members of the Royal Family, and will work towards financial independence, use of the word 'Royal', in this context needed to be reviewed," the spokesperson explains.
The couple will also lose the ability to use their 'HRH' styling, however, will still formally hold it. The couple will continue to be referred to as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as well as their titles of the Earl and Countess of Dumbarton and the Baron and Baroness Kilkeel, it has also been confirmed.
Harry will, of course, remain sixth in line for the throne and the couple's status in the Order of Precedence will remain unchanged.
Prince Harry will of course remain sixth in the line of succession. (Image: Getty)
"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be in the United Kingdom regularly," the spokesperson says, with the couple confirmed to attend several engagements over the coming months.
Ahead of formally step back at the end of March, the couple will travel from Canada to the UK later this month.
Harry is set to attend the Invictus Games Choir Visit on February 28 alongside singer Jon Bon Jovi, as well as the Silverstone Experience opening with Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton on March 6.
Both Harry and Meghan will attend the Endeavour Fund Awards again this year as well as the Mountbatten Music Festival on March 7 and the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey with other members of the Royal Family on March 9. The day prior Duchess Meghan is set to mark International Women's Day.
In late April Prince Harry will also be present at the London Marathon and the couple will take part in the Invictus Games held in The Hague, Netherlands in May.
Harry and Meghan at the Endeavour Awards last year, when Meghan was seven months pregnant with Archie. (Image: Getty)
In a statement posted to Instagram, the couple wrote that after "many months of reflection and internal discussions" they had chosen to carve out a new "progressive" role within the institution.
While the discussions over the past few months have been incredibly complicated, Prince Harry has said he does not regret his decision to step back, saying he felt there was "no other option" if he wanted to protect his family.