On the surface, it seems like Taika Waititi’s quirky Kiwi flick Hunt for the Wilderpeople might not have much in common with Thor: Ragnarok, the latest instalment in the film franchise featuring Chris Hemsworth as the legendary Asgardian superhero.
However, eagle-eyed fans of Hunt for the Wilderpeople picked up on a secret message hidden in the action-packed teaser trailer for Thor: Ragnarok, shortly after the clip debuted online yesterday.
In one shot, shown briefly in the trailer, Chris (as Thor) can be seen hefting his hammer Mjolnir. In the background, however, a graffiti tag reading “Skux Life” is clearly visible in the background.
For those unfamiliar, the Kiwi slang phrase was uttered plenty of times by Julian Dennison’s character Ricky Baker in Wilderpeople.
Taika later highlighted the moment on his own social media, posting a screenshot of the tag with the caption: “Ricky Baker has a lot of explaining to do.”
Regardless of whether or not fans picked up on that particular reference, it’s clear the teaser for Thor: Ragnarok has only served to heighten the anticipation for the Marvel flick.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the clip racked up more than 136 million views in the 24-hour period after it was released, making it the studio’s most viewed trailer ever.
It smashed the previous 24-hour record for Disney set by Beauty and the Beast, which garnered 127.6 million views.
This time around, the flick sees Thor imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his hammer, racing against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok – the destruction of his home and Asgardian civilisation at the hands of powerful new villainess Hela (played by Cate Blanchett).
- RoyalsPrincess Diana’s niece Lady Kitty Spencer is converting to Judaism for her fiancé
Now To LoveToday 10:40am
- CareerSt Matthew-in-the-City's first female vicar Reverend Dr Helen Jacobi lets us into her world
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- RoyalsWhy this adorable photo of Princess Charlotte means so much to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveYesterday 12:20pm
- FamilySonny Bill Williams pays tribute to wife Alana for holding their family together as he leaves for England
Now To LoveYesterday 11:57am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine gets candid about motherhood: from hypnobirthing to ‘mum guilt’
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ intruder Mike Bullot is Chelsea Winter's former husband
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- TVThe Bachelorette intruders: Meet the men hoping to steal the show
Now To LoveFeb 16, 2020
- Pregnancy & Birth‘I gave birth to our miracle baby the night before my wedding’
Woman's DayFeb 15, 2020