On the surface, it seems like Taika Waititi’s quirky Kiwi flick Hunt for the Wilderpeople might not have much in common with Thor: Ragnarok, the latest instalment in the film franchise featuring Chris Hemsworth as the legendary Asgardian superhero.
However, eagle-eyed fans of Hunt for the Wilderpeople picked up on a secret message hidden in the action-packed teaser trailer for Thor: Ragnarok, shortly after the clip debuted online yesterday.
In one shot, shown briefly in the trailer, Chris (as Thor) can be seen hefting his hammer Mjolnir. In the background, however, a graffiti tag reading “Skux Life” is clearly visible in the background.
For those unfamiliar, the Kiwi slang phrase was uttered plenty of times by Julian Dennison’s character Ricky Baker in Wilderpeople.
Taika later highlighted the moment on his own social media, posting a screenshot of the tag with the caption: “Ricky Baker has a lot of explaining to do.”
Regardless of whether or not fans picked up on that particular reference, it’s clear the teaser for Thor: Ragnarok has only served to heighten the anticipation for the Marvel flick.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the clip racked up more than 136 million views in the 24-hour period after it was released, making it the studio’s most viewed trailer ever.
It smashed the previous 24-hour record for Disney set by Beauty and the Beast, which garnered 127.6 million views.
This time around, the flick sees Thor imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his hammer, racing against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok – the destruction of his home and Asgardian civilisation at the hands of powerful new villainess Hela (played by Cate Blanchett).
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- FamilyMental health advocate Mike King opens up about his daughter Alex following in his footsteps
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:41am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has upgraded her engagement ring from Prince Harry
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- FamilyThe woman who supported Arthur Taylor through four decades in prison
Woman's DayToday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Stacy and Adam's biggest challenge
Woman's DayToday 11:39am
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson brings to light one of the royal family's saddest tales from the past
Now To LoveToday 11:39am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan reveals how she made her royal wedding to Prince Harry feel ‘intimate’
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- Food & DrinksCassidy in the Kitchen: Bravo NZ host Cassidy Morris's easy peanut butter cups
Now To LoveToday 8:47am
- RelationshipsDWTS judge Camilla Sacre-Dallerup's romantic Queenstown escape with her husband
Woman's DayToday 8:35am
- MindWestside's Antonia Prebble talks motherhood, career and how she nurtures her mind, body and soul
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- BodyHow to best take care of your skin in cold winter weather
Now To LoveToday 7:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe intrepid Kiwi couple in their sixties who trekked 700km across Jordan
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- FitnessFeeling sore after you workout? Try adding these 6 steps to your exercise routine
Good Health ChoicesJun 22, 2019
- CareerKanoa Lloyd on what compels her to speak up for others
NEXTJun 22, 2019
- FamilyClarke Gayford reveals Neve received a birthday present from Prince William!
Now To LoveJun 21, 2019