Over the years, Suzanne Paul had fairly firm ideas and expectations about how her life would look when she hit the big 6-0.
But as she shared her milestone day, relaxing with New Zealand Woman's Weekly team, she revealed her life hasn't quite followed the plan she'd envisaged.
"You think by now you'll have your head sorted out and you won't make mistakes like you did when you were young – that you'll be organised moneywise and man-wise, and won't have any problems, but of course you do," she quietly told the Weekly.
Indeed, having split earlier this year from her husband of 11 years, Duncan Wilson, Suzanne never expected to wake up on her 60th birthday, single and starting over.
Although, she happily tells the Weekly that she didn't wake up to an empty house, as she feared she might. As the couple were still working out their new living arrangements, Duncan was there at home with her on her big day.
"I was glad to have him there on my birthday," she told the Weekly. "I didn't want to wake up and be by myself. I thought that would feel really sad."
After breakfast at home, Suzanne headed out for a much-needed day of TLC at a day spa with New Zealand Woman's Weekly.
There, she spoke candidly about the split, and how she's navigating divorce whilst trying to stay positive.
Whilst reflecting on the ups and downs of her six decades, she shared her greatest worry, as well as her greatest go-tos for keeping her spirits up and defying her age!
For the full story, see the latest issue of New Zealand Woman's Weekly.
- TVHow winning The Block has changed Tim and Arty's lives forever
Woman's DayNov 25, 2021
- At homeBring summer into your home with this colour pallette
Now To LoveNov 25, 2021
- RoyalsAre Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank planning baby number two already?
Woman's DayNov 23, 2021
- RoyalsThe Queen’s special appearance for two of her great-grandsons after weeks of health concerns
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 23, 2021
- Royals"She's alright!": The Queen makes her first in-person appearance since October hospital scare
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 18, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKim Crossman's hidden heartache and why being a mum will have to wait
Woman's DayNov 18, 2021
- Food & DrinksEnjoy the taste of Provence with these refreshing rosé wines
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 17, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi mum Rachel reveals how her premature son changed her life
Woman's DayNov 17, 2021