Eighteen months have passed since former broadcaster Paul Henry bid farewell to his eponymous radio and television show, and embarked on early retirement. It was an emotional week for Paul, who tragically said goodbye to his beloved mother just three days before his last show.
The pair were incredibly close – Olive was a gorgeous spirited woman with an adventurous streak (she famously did a jump from Auckland's Sky Tower to celebrate her 79th birthday) and she shared a wonderful, unique bond with her only son.
So, when Paul explained that to the Weekly that he was planning on doing something to celebrate Olive in his retirement, we knew it wasn't likely to be your run-of-the-mill tribute.
And, we certainly weren't wrong – it's a spectacular tribute.
As Paul explains, exclusively in this week's issue of New Zealand Woman's Weekly, he is currently cruising the Mediterranean on an 80ft boat that he commissioned to be built in honour of his late mother. The boat is named Olive, and it serves as her final resting place, as her ashes are on-board, built into the boat.
"Mum and me were a team, and we spent many, many years on our own together," Paul tells the Weekly. "She was my biggest cheerleader and lived her life for me. She loved travel and in her final years talked about going on a cruise, but she'd left it too late. She was too frail."
Now, Paul is ensuring that her dream is being realised. He launched the boat with his daughter Bella in the Netherlands on May 7 – what would have been Olive's 88th birthday – and plans to spend the next few years on the boat, taking her around the world.
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveToday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveToday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveToday 11:19am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveYesterday 2:28pm
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry are reportedly splitting their royal household after 10 years together
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 17, 2019
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesFeb 17, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveFeb 17, 2019