It was the news that had fans around the world shocked - Liam Hemsworth and Miley Cyrus announced their separation last week after less than a year of marriage.
After a bump in the road where they called off their engagement in 2013, reconciling two years later and then marrying in a surprise wedding in December last year, it looked like these two had finally sorted things out and were going to get their happily ever after. Sadly, it wasn't to be.
While Miley has been active on social media leading up to and following the announcement, posting a series of photos from holiday in Italy, Liam had remained silent. Until now.
Taking to Instagram on Tuesday afternoon, the Aussie actor shared an image of a sunset along with a caption that addressed their split.
"Hi all, Just a quick note to say that Miley and I have recently separated," he wrote.
"I wish her nothing but health and happiness going forward."
"This is a private matter and I have not made, nor will I be making, any comments to any journalists or media outlets. Any reported quotes attributed to me are false. Peace and Love."
Their separation was announced via a representative for the couple who told People magazine "Liam and Miley have agreed to separate at this time."
"Ever-evolving, changing as partners and individuals, they have decided this is what's best while they both focus on themselves and careers."
Rumours of a split have been swirling for weeks prior, intensifying when Miley declared at Glastonbury in July that she was "f--king sick of men."
TMZ reported the pair had actually split in June.
Following news of their split, Miley was photographed in Italy kissing Kaitlynn Carter, Brody Jenner's ex-wife, during a holiday to Italy.
Earlier this week, the 26-year-old singer posted a series of photos to Instagram, seemingly addressing the break up.
"Don't fight evolution, because you will never win," she wrote in one post. "Like the mountain I am standing on top of, which was once under water... change is inevitable. "
She went on to say "My dad always told me 'Nature never hurries but it is always on time'.... it fills my heart with peace and hope KNOWING that is true."
She then followed it up with another post: "Life's a climb... but the view is great."
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine reveals Prince Louis has started talking
Now To LoveToday 9:20am
- BodyHer sister's keeper: Brave battler Eva Mitchell's unbreakable sibling bond
Woman's DayToday 4:40pm
- MakeupHow to find a foundation that matches your skin perfectly
Now To LoveToday 3:10pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine shares her family’s secret for picking the best Christmas tree
Now To LoveToday 11:55am
- CareerChristmas horoscopes: What's in store for you this festive season
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- CareerTina Turner reflects on her roller coaster life and the peace that has come with retirement
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CareerSocial media parody queen Celeste Barber on unexpected fame and where she draws the line
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin a wireless headphone prizepack thanks to JBL and The Australian Women's Weekly
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 7:00am
- RelationshipsYellow Wiggle Emma Watkins has a new boyfriend - and she didn't have to go far to find him
Now To LoveYesterday 4:26pm
- Diet & NutritionHere are five health foods we’re set to be eating more of in 2020
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Career'I wasn't expecting that': New podcast explores tricky issues for women in 40s and 50s
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- FamilyNZ's smallest couple: Meet our Christmas miracle baby
Woman's DayYesterday 9:30am
- RoyalsBuckingham Palace responds to Virginia Roberts' claims about Prince Andrew
Now To LoveDec 03, 2019