It was the news that had fans around the world shocked - Liam Hemsworth and Miley Cyrus announced their separation last week after less than a year of marriage.
After a bump in the road where they called off their engagement in 2013, reconciling two years later and then marrying in a surprise wedding in December last year, it looked like these two had finally sorted things out and were going to get their happily ever after. Sadly, it wasn't to be.
While Miley has been active on social media leading up to and following the announcement, posting a series of photos from holiday in Italy, Liam had remained silent. Until now.
Taking to Instagram on Tuesday afternoon, the Aussie actor shared an image of a sunset along with a caption that addressed their split.
"Hi all, Just a quick note to say that Miley and I have recently separated," he wrote.
"I wish her nothing but health and happiness going forward."
"This is a private matter and I have not made, nor will I be making, any comments to any journalists or media outlets. Any reported quotes attributed to me are false. Peace and Love."
Their separation was announced via a representative for the couple who told People magazine "Liam and Miley have agreed to separate at this time."
"Ever-evolving, changing as partners and individuals, they have decided this is what's best while they both focus on themselves and careers."
Rumours of a split have been swirling for weeks prior, intensifying when Miley declared at Glastonbury in July that she was "f--king sick of men."
TMZ reported the pair had actually split in June.
Following news of their split, Miley was photographed in Italy kissing Kaitlynn Carter, Brody Jenner's ex-wife, during a holiday to Italy.
Earlier this week, the 26-year-old singer posted a series of photos to Instagram, seemingly addressing the break up.
"Don't fight evolution, because you will never win," she wrote in one post. "Like the mountain I am standing on top of, which was once under water... change is inevitable. "
She went on to say "My dad always told me 'Nature never hurries but it is always on time'.... it fills my heart with peace and hope KNOWING that is true."
She then followed it up with another post: "Life's a climb... but the view is great."
- RoyalsThe Cambridges are set to visit Ireland as the Sussexes return to the UK
Now To LoveToday 3:00pm
- PetsIt's getting hot in here: Expert advice on caring for your pet over summer
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight Australia 2019 stars: Where are they now?
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- CareerWhy Judy Bailey's latest project had everyone thinking she was getting inked
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:40am
- CareerWhy Laura Dern deserves every acting award she gets!
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:31am
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight bride Poppy Jennings' unexpected exit: what really went on
Now To LoveYesterday 8:55pm
- RoyalsPrince William reveals the unexpected activity the Cambridge children tried over the school break
Now To LoveYesterday 3:35pm
- BodyThis Kiwi mum lost a staggering 65kg in a year but says she will always miss her old size
Woman's DayYesterday 2:15pm
- RoyalsThe internet thinks The Sussexes just made a subtle dig at Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie
Now To LoveYesterday 12:50pm
- BodyWhy acupuncture could be the pathway to a healthier body and menstrual cycle
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:40am
- TVChelsea Winter's former husband Michael Bullot opens up about kids and marriage
Now To LoveFeb 23, 2020
- FamilyArt and Matilda Green open up about becoming parents and why they're keeping it real on social media
Good Health ChoicesFeb 23, 2020
- MindDo you have FOBO? Why the fear of better options could be fuel for anxiety
Good Health ChoicesFeb 22, 2020
- FamilyA mum's worst nightmare: 'I saw my son floating lifeless'
Woman's DayFeb 22, 2020