My advice to my 16-year-old self would be... Everything will work out as you want it to - just don’t worry.
My greatest achievement is... My children. Jack is 19 and he has started working in the screen industry in crews. He has worked on Find Me a Maori Bride and done a couple of web series. Cameron is 16 and in Year 12 at college.
If I could bring someone famous or accomplished back from the dead… It would be William Shakespeare. I bet that besides being brilliant, he would really understand just how actors work.
The quote that always motivates me is… “Ko te reo te mauri o te mana Maori – the language is the life force of the mana Maori” from Sir James Henare. It inspires me to keep learning this gorgeous language. I started at 46 with night classes and then I did an immersion course in 2013 and I’ve been doing university diploma since then – not to gain a degree but to keep talking and learning. I would love to have the opportunity to play a te reo-speaking Pakeha.
The flowers I would always like to have on my kitchen table… Are Daffodils.
My most prized possession is… (Aside from my family) my Burmese cats, Vinnie and Ruby. They are ridiculously adored by us. At the moment the line-up in the bed in the morning is Michael, Vinnie, me and then Ruby, because it is cold. Ruby is a thief – she has stolen about 300 items from around the neighbourhood. She has such a quirky personality.
The last film I loved was... Incendies, a Canadian mystery drama about a brother and sister unravelling the mystery of the world. I couldn’t stop thinking about it for weeks.
My dream holiday destination is… Turkey. Michael and I went there in the early 1990s and had the best time. I would like to take the children to Cappadocia (Central Turkey), where we spent more than three weeks exploring what is an extraordinary landscape, riding through it on a motorcycle. Cappadocia is incredible. It’s like going to the surface of the moon.
The actor I would like to play me in the movie of my life is... Someone tall who can sing… and speak te reo Maori. I’d love it if it was someone as yet undiscovered.
The food that makes me feel energised is... A salad made of vegetables freshly picked from our garden.
When I need to wind down… I lie on the bed with the cats and read.
My perfect winter night in… This entails a roast dinner cooked by my husband, Michael, sitting by the fire and watching a great TV series. We are watching Bloodlines, House of Cards and we really loved Better Call Saul. I was away when Filthy Rich was on and I recorded the whole lot so I am also watching all of those lovely New Zealand actors chewing up the scenery on that.
Watch Jennifer in Dirty Laundry, Wednesdays, 8.30pm on TVNZ 1.
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am