To get red carpet ready, celebrities go through an interesting pre-awards show preparation phase that includes expensive facials, weird treatments, and other bizarre beauty procedures - like the 'penis facial'.
Thanks to Instagram, many stars love sharing selfies of themselves in the middle of their glam evolution, revealing the long, confusing path they must go through in order to attain red carpet perfection.
And we're not just talking about hair, make-up, and nails here either. Bar Rafeli is covering herself in gold goop, Kim Kardashian is injecting herself with her own blood, and Lindsay Lohan is spending thousands to freeze herself to death!
Yep, the world of celebrity glam is indeed a strange place. Below, a quick tour of the bizarre treatments celebs undergo to look red carpet ready.
The Treatment: Liquid gold facial
These days, celebs are all about sheet masks and other facials, but this gold goop definitely made us do a second take. The treatment, which costs a whopping $1,660 and has been used by celebs like Nicole Kidman and Cameron Diaz, includes 24-carat gold and bee venom cream. Uh, we'll pass.
The Treatment: Cryotherapy
Back in 2015, Lindsay shared a video of her stepping into an ice chamber in just a bikini. Turns out it was a popular procedure that other celebs like Mandy Moore rave about for its anti-inflammation and pain-reducing benefits. Did we mention the ice chamber is -145°C? Unsurprisingly, the FDA has denounced it.
The Treatment: Collagen Infused Lip Mask
We're used to seeing sheet masks and other weird facials on celebs, but when Emma Stone shared this photo while getting ready for the Golden Globes, many fans were left scratching their heads. Turns out she was wearing a collagen-infused lip mask that plumps, hydrates, and conditions lips. And yes, you read that correctly. It's a nonsurgical plumper! Many people rave about it, and considering its $40 price tag, we guess it's not too unattainable.
The Treatment: Evian water bath
Well this is self-explanatory. If you have $5,000 to spend, you can soak your entire body in a pool of Evian water (you know, instead of that disgusting stuff that comes out of a tap like a lowly commoner). The treatment includes over 1,000 bottles of Evian and also includes chocolate and a bottle of wine. Not sure what beauty benefits this pricey bath has beyond feeling like a rich person, which might be enough for some people.
The Treatment: Face Place facial treatment
When the Shameless star shared this selfie back in 2016, she joked that she looked like "Hannibal Lecter." But apparently, this popular facial treatment available at Face Place is a bi-monthly treatment that involves a milky cleanser, lots of warm towels, yucca root solution, steam, a collagen-rich solution, and then a Vitamin C solution. It looks like a lot of work, but apparently, the red carpet "glow" pays off.
The Treatment: The Vampire Facial
And who can forget this infamous procedure? Say whatever you want about Kim, but she's definitely not afraid to try some experimental treatments. The Platelet-Rich Plasma injections involve poking yourself with a needle to inject your own blood back into your skin. It's supposed to have anti-wrinkle benefits, but we're too squeamish to ever try it ourselves.
The Treatment: Sweat Beds
Steam is hardly new when it comes to beauty trends, but celebs always take things a bit too far. Thanks to Selena Gomez, "sweat beds," are a thing, and many stars like paying big bucks to sweat themselves to awesome, glowy skin. The hard part? Well, dealing with the hot temperatures. At least it sounds better than Cryotherapy!
- CareerMeet the trailblazing female shepherd who won a prestigious award previously only won by men
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:18am
- RoyalsYet another example of the harsh double standard Duchess Meghan faces
Now To LoveToday 8:15am
- RoyalsSarah, Duchess of York, is recognised with an award for her charity work
Now To LoveToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsHow much do the royal family spend on travel a year?
Now To LoveToday 11:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen just passed on this very special patronage to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveToday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Sophia and Mikaere: 'We'll come out stronger than ever'
Woman's DayToday 8:05am
- TVWhy 2019's Dancing with the Stars cast was so close - and who's missing who now that it's over
Now To LoveYesterday 3:42pm
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine and Prince William are reportedly planning a royal tour of Asia this year
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Martha Kalifatidis opens up about being bullied
Now To LoveYesterday 9:55am
- FamilyMental health advocate Mike King opens up about his daughter Alex following in his footsteps
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:41am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has upgraded her engagement ring from Prince Harry
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyThe woman who supported Arthur Taylor through four decades in prison
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am