Instagram is awash with mummy bloggers. It seems as if every woman with a child and a wifi connection is on board. You can't step out your front door without tripping over five of them.
The amount of stay at home mums is much higher than the amount of stay at home dads - the December 2017 Household Labour Force Survey shows that 19.3 percent of non-working women list child care as their main activity while only 3 percent of men did. However, those figures are shifting. The 2013 census showed that New Zealand had 36,000 stay at home dads - 5,000 more than in 2001.
And of course, with the rise of the stay at home dad, comes the rise of the dad blogger. Rarer than the mummy blogger, you can go a fair bit down the road before tripping over one of these.
The most obvious Kiwi example, with a prime spot next to his Prime Minister-partner, Jacinda Ardern, at the UN, is Clarke Gayford. The self proclaimed 'first fisherman's' Twitter feed has retained its focus on New Zealand's environmental issues, and fishing related news but has started to include what is essentially a dad blog.
Clarke's cute updates on him and Neve's life as first-family/UN support team also seem to be his best performing content and regularly get thousands of likes - proof that Clarke's dad blogging is getting noticed.
Though correlation is not causation, and the rise of the stay at home dad with the rising visibility of the dad blogger doesn't mean that dad blogging is causing more dads to stay home, the growing visibility is a positive shift of awareness and attitude. The dad blogger normalises stay at home dads - thanks, Clarke.
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am