It's the time of the year when you consider, for various reasons, taking goods back to the shop – mainly Christmas presents. What goods can't you take back to a store?
You can't take goods back to a store or online just because you've changed your mind about them or you didn't want the gift.
That's not the store's responsibility. You can try, of course, and you might succeed in this season of goodwill, especially if you provide proof of purchase.
But remember, the retailer has the final say, not you.
You are more likely to succeed if you agree to exchange goods rather than ask for your money back.
You also can't return goods that were Christmas gifts unless you've got an exchange card.
If a gift doesn't do what it was meant to do, ask the person who bought you the gift if they'd take it back for a refund or a replacement.
If it's just a minor problem, the store has the right to opt to get the goods repaired rather than give a cash refund.
Remember to keep the receipts for gifts you've bought for others. They may need them.
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020