We all love a good life hack and we also all love Kmart - so when Facebook mum Rough Diamond put up a post this week sharing her clever idea for dividing up food in her child's lunchbox using an ice cube tray from Kmart, the post was a big hit.
She told her Facebook friends: "Just a wee bit of genius from @reve.ever ... a very handy #kmarthack using the large ice cube trays ($2 ... which make amazing ice cubes with a wedge of lime frozen in them ) and the Kmart container for your very own bento box !!!"
Since her post went up it has been shared more than 100 times, liked almost 600 times and commented on almost 200 times.
"Omg! Ive been searching for something like this forever! Thank you thank you," commented one FB friend.
Added another: "Small Fishing takle/bait box at bunnings and mitre 10 also are very good cheap ulternatives. Sides go all the way up (not leak free for yoghurt tho)."
"litterless lunch genius" enthused a third.
A growing number of schools in New Zealand are working on becoming sustainable, meaning students are encouraged to avoid bringing packaged foods or foods wrapped in clingfilm to school, and must take their rubbish home with them.
Target Road School on the North Shore is one such school. In its latest newsletter it tells parents, "Target Road School is well on the way to becoming a Sustainable School. We are endeavouring to make our ‘footprint’ on the Earth much smaller by creating less rubbish for landfills and using re-usable items instead of ‘throw away’ items.
"Lunches are best in: A partitioned lunchbox, where food is put in with no cling film or packets. Fruit can be sliced and put straight into a partition lunchbox.
"It saves money too as no need to buy clingfilm, lunchwrap or expensive packet items."
- RoyalsSarah, Duchess of York, is recognised with an award for her charity work
Now To LoveToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsHow much do the royal family spend on travel a year?
Now To LoveToday 11:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen just passed on this very special patronage to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveToday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Sophia and Mikaere: 'We'll come out stronger than ever'
Woman's DayToday 8:05am
- TVWhy 2019's Dancing with the Stars cast was so close - and who's missing who now that it's over
Now To LoveYesterday 3:42pm
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine and Prince William are reportedly planning a royal tour of Asia this year
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Martha Kalifatidis opens up about being bullied
Now To LoveYesterday 9:55am
- FamilyMental health advocate Mike King opens up about his daughter Alex following in his footsteps
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:41am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has upgraded her engagement ring from Prince Harry
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyThe woman who supported Arthur Taylor through four decades in prison
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Stacy and Adam's biggest challenge
Woman's DayJun 24, 2019
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson brings to light one of the royal family's saddest tales from the past
Now To LoveJun 24, 2019