After admitting her children's mess was stopping her from enjoying motherhood, one mum took drastic action to get her life back - by throwing out all her kids' toys.
Allie Casazza, from Arkansas in the US told ABC News that the clutter was making her miserable.
“I had this huge room in my house, dedicated to toys. Bins overflowing with stuff. A $150 light-up unicorn no-one played with. The playroom was the bane of my existence,” she said.
And, like many mums, cleaning the room several times a day only resulted in everything being taken out again, and subsequently raising her stress levels even higher.
“I didn’t enjoy motherhood”, Allie said. “I didn’t enjoy [my kids]. They were a bother to me.”
One day, Allie made the decision that has made her globally famous - she gave nearly every toy in the house away for the good of the family. And if you were imagining an epic temper tantrum when the kids saw the result of her efforts, you’ll be surprised to know that they were excited to find that she had cleaned the room.
She now believes that doing so “saved my motherhood, my marriage”.
“I had been so resentful of my husband, telling him, ‘you have no idea what I go through all day’, but after the toys were gone I immediately felt lighter. I had so much less stress.”
Here's Allie and her happy family from her Instagram account.
Eventually, the clear-out led to an even bigger household purge, and the family have since downsized.
And it's also led to a career change for Allie. She has started her own business dedicated to living minimally, and has even decided to home-school her kids.
Here she is talking the talk (we know she can walk the walk).
If you're looking for any minimal living ideas, Allie has a blog called The Purposeful Housewife.
- RoyalsPrince William’s romantic surprise on Kate Middleton’s birthday
Now To LoveJan 17, 2022
- RoyalsThe Queen has stripped Prince Andrew of his military titles and royal patronages
Now To LoveJan 14, 2022
- Celebrity NewsAt home with Dame Kiri: 'You'll never want to leave!'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJan 13, 2022
- Real LifeOne-armed Kiwi dancer Brylee Mills reveals why her disability won't stop her
Woman's DayJan 13, 2022
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine’s portrait photographer, Paolo Roversi, reveals Prince William and the kids’ favourite photo, plus special behind the scenes details
The Australian Women's WeeklyJan 13, 2022
- Celebrity NewsChris and Mel Cairns: 'We're in this battle together'
Woman's DayJan 13, 2022
- Celebrity NewsIn memoriam: Paying tribute to the stars we have sadly lost in 2022
Now To LoveJan 11, 2022
- RoyalsThree new portraits of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge have been released to mark her milestone 40th birthday
The Australian Women's WeeklyJan 09, 2022