- Make an effort to make new friends
- Join a hobbies club
- Visit your local community or resource centre and find out what’s on offer
- Learn to use a computer at your local library
- Seek help from your local social services
- Consider taking in a lodger or a paying guest
- Use your telephone more often to contact people – don’t wait for people to contact you
- Contact friends and relatives you haven’t spoken to recently
- Make friends with your neighbours
- Do voluntary work if you are able
A 90-year-old pensioner has shared his tips on how to avoid loneliness, and it’s a heart-breaking read.
Derek Taylor has been lonely ever since his wife and sister passed away a few years ago.
The Manchester local told the BBC that he often feels “isolated and alone” after losing those cloes to him.
“The older you get, the less people seem to contact you,” he told them.
Determined to stop feeling so low, Derek wrote down a list of ten things he could do to stop feeling so isolated, and has now shared them with readers.
“I thought they might be useful for other old people living on their own,” he said.
Ten things to combat loneliness:
His list now appears in Manchester City Council’s Age-Friendly Manchester Program, and Derek himself has become an Age-Friendly Champion.
You can watch the full story here.
If you want to make a difference to older people in your community, visit the Age Concern NZ site here to find out how to volunteer.
- TVSam Wallace and Eric Murray bare all on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveToday 10:45am
- RoyalsRevealed: Where Duchess Meghan found inspiration for her royal wedding makeup look
Now To LoveToday 10:30am
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am