During the past five days Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has fielded many, many questions. She has fronted press conferences with national and international media and kept New Zealand and the rest of the world informed about the terror attacks at two Christchurch mosques on Friday, March 15, as well as the many political, social and legal developments that have unfolded since New Zealand's darkest day.
She has remained stoic and strong - staunch in her resolution not to utter the alleged gunman's name and clear in her messaging: "You may have chosen us but we utterly reject and condemn you."
But there was one question today, asked by a Christchurch teen during the Prime Minister's visit to Cashmere High School, that caused her to falter.
Ardern was visiting the school because three current and former students lost their lives in the massacre, as well as two family members' of students. Another student was in hospital after being injured.
It was her second visit to Christchurch since the attacks.
After she'd finished speaking to the students about the importance of honouring those who'd lost their lives and her intent to change New Zealand's gun laws a student near the front row simply asked, "How are you?"
An enquiry after her own welfare, how she was coping in the wake of New Zealand's darkest day clearly threw her.
"How am I?" Jacinda Ardern repeated.
"Thank you for asking," she said. "I am very sad."
A simple question, a simple answer - reminding us we are all vulnerable in our strength.
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ's Lexie and Hamish are moving in together!
Woman's DayMar 11, 2021
- TVHit single Moses: 'I didn't think I deserved love!'
Woman's DayMar 09, 2021
- TVHere are the queens competing in RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under
Now To LoveMar 07, 2021