The late All Black great Jonah Lomu has had a new road in South Auckland named after him.
Jonah Lomu Drive was officially opened at a ceremony in Paerata near Pukekohe yesterday with Lomu's family in attendance.
The new street is just a few metres away from where he played rugby at Wesley College as a schoolboy.
Jonah Lomu's wife Nadene said the world rugby great would have been honoured by the naming.
"Jonah was a very big but humble person," she told the New Zealand Herald. "I think he would probably be quite shy of something like this, but I think it's very deserving and most humbling to see.
"I also think it's a very fitting tribute to Jonah for the imprint that he's left on many heart of the old boys here at Wesley and the ones who are presently here. But also for the generations to come through."
The new road is part of a new housing development in the area.
VIDEO: Watch the haka below for Jonah Lomu from former teammates.
- RelationshipsThe incredible love story of this Kiwi soldier and his Slovenian heroine, who met through a barbed wire fence at a POW camp
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionFibre 101: Everything you need to know about this essential dietary component
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- RoyalsWhy the Queen allowed Duchess Catherine to break protocol and kiss her in public
Now To LoveYesterday 3:18pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie’s latest outfit has a sweet connection to her royal wedding last year
Now To LoveYesterday 11:45am
- Real LifeA Christchurch surgeon describes what it was like to be working on the day of the mosque attacks
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- RoyalsSee the vibrant flower that's been named after Baby Archie
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Pregnancy & BirthNewshub's Melissa Davies is pregnant with her first child
Now To LoveYesterday 9:08am
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveMay 23, 2019
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveMay 23, 2019
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMay 23, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesMay 23, 2019