It’s been almost nine months since she had to farewell her soulmate, husband and best friend- New Zealand’s most-loved All Black Jonah Lomu.
Now, bravely and candidly opening her heart to Woman’s Day in an exclusive interview this week, Nadene Lomu reveals just how tough the last few months have been - not just for her, but for the couple’s two adorable children, Brayley, 7, and five-year-old Dhyreille.
“It hasn’t got easier,” she says. “People say it does. Nine months sounds like a long time, but I miss him so much every single day.”
In her moving tribute to her beloved Jonah, Nadene remembers the sports legend - who lost his 20-year battle with kidney disease last year - as a “crazy, silly” dad to their two boys, as well as the most generous, kind hearted and amazing husband.
“No matter how sick he was feeling, he would put it aside for anyone. If people wanted a photo or an autograph, he’d stay until he did the very last one.”
Jonah passed away on November 18 last year, just a day after he, Nadene and the boys arrived back in New Zealand, after a three-month trip to Europe for the Rugby World Cup, where Jonah was working as an ambassador.
News of his sudden death stunned the nation, who had lost one of their most beloved sporting figures.
Buck Shelford and more of Jonah's former teammates perform a haka in tribute to him at his funeral. Story continues below.
But the biggest shock was reserved for Nadene, who struggled to even breathe as she had to tell her little boys that their daddy was gone.
“I knew he was sick, I knew he was very very sick… but we didn’t think it would be this soon.”
She also reveals the struggles she and her sons have had to suffer through in the wake of Jonah’s passing, from living in the public spotlight without his guidance - while of course, they’re still mourning their much-missed husband and father.
To read Nadene’s emotional tribute in full, see this week’s Woman’s Day, on-sale now.
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveToday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveToday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveToday 11:19am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveYesterday 2:28pm
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry are reportedly splitting their royal household after 10 years together
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 17, 2019
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesFeb 17, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveFeb 17, 2019