The first wedding anniversary gift is a tricky one to nail. On one hand, it sets the precedent for (hopefully) many gifts to come, but on the other – it’s the first year and you don’t want to peak too soon.
But while many husbands stick to the traditional ‘paper’ theme, one decided to go a little off-piste. By getting his wife’s favourite animal stuffed and preserved.
In this story of “confused, misguided love,” the wife took to ebay to sell off her gift, that she described as disappointing and upsetting.
“I'm selling because I've dutifully kept it for two years and I'm getting worried about the long term psychological effects on my two (alive) cats, who have now accepted living with a dead, badly stuffed relative as normal,” the wife writes.
“Our anniversary is the 1st of November, and in suggesting that perhaps it is time 'Paper' (har har) moves on, my husband has given me a very nice 3rd anniversary present.
“Dead cat comes with free story about love. Confused, misguided love.
“I was really excited about our first wedding anniversary. I knew that my husband struggled a little bit with gift-giving, so I wasn't expecting anything more than a nice day with him. I wasn't disappointed. So, I was pretty surprised and delighted when he turned to me on the train on our way home from our nice day out and, leaning close with a sweet, boyish smile, said ‘You know, I did actually get you an anniversary present.’”
As it turns out, her beloved husband had procured a dead, stuffed cat for their wedding anniversary, because, as the seller writes “Nothing says I love you like your favourite animal only dead.”
“So, if your home needs a tragic symbol of misguided love -- the misguided love of an incompetent amateur taxidermist for a beloved, elderly, scruffy cat or the misguided love of a new husband who thought getting his cat-loving bride a dead one for their first anniversary was a good idea -- then please consider bidding,” she writes.
If you’re interested in bidding for the piece, head to ebay.
- RoyalsInside a play date with Prince George and Princess Charlotte at Kensington Palace
Now To LoveToday 3:40pm
- PetsThe online pet product delivery service that just made your life easier
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayToday 7:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ brides share the details on their wedding dresses
Woman's DayYesterday 4:45pm
- TVThe one thing Jodie Rimmer did on Celebrity Treasure Island that her children made her apologise for
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- At homeThe sensitive skin laundry hack that makes your clothes soft and speeds up drying time
Now To LoveYesterday 8:24am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DayYesterday 8:21am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan shares an adorable unseen photo from Archie’s christening for Prince Harry’s birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- TVThe top five moments from Celebrity Treasure Island this week
Now To LoveSep 15, 2019
- CareerHelen Mirren on why being old is 'cool' and marriage is great
The Australian Women's WeeklySep 15, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a $500 Countdown voucher to launch your Disney Word tile collection
Woman's DaySep 15, 2019
- BodyDWTS winner Loryn Reynolds' sister can finally dance again after losing a whopping 70kg
Woman's DaySep 14, 2019