The first wedding anniversary gift is a tricky one to nail. On one hand, it sets the precedent for (hopefully) many gifts to come, but on the other – it’s the first year and you don’t want to peak too soon.
But while many husbands stick to the traditional ‘paper’ theme, one decided to go a little off-piste. By getting his wife’s favourite animal stuffed and preserved.
In this story of “confused, misguided love,” the wife took to ebay to sell off her gift, that she described as disappointing and upsetting.
“I'm selling because I've dutifully kept it for two years and I'm getting worried about the long term psychological effects on my two (alive) cats, who have now accepted living with a dead, badly stuffed relative as normal,” the wife writes.
“Our anniversary is the 1st of November, and in suggesting that perhaps it is time 'Paper' (har har) moves on, my husband has given me a very nice 3rd anniversary present.
“Dead cat comes with free story about love. Confused, misguided love.
“I was really excited about our first wedding anniversary. I knew that my husband struggled a little bit with gift-giving, so I wasn't expecting anything more than a nice day with him. I wasn't disappointed. So, I was pretty surprised and delighted when he turned to me on the train on our way home from our nice day out and, leaning close with a sweet, boyish smile, said ‘You know, I did actually get you an anniversary present.’”
As it turns out, her beloved husband had procured a dead, stuffed cat for their wedding anniversary, because, as the seller writes “Nothing says I love you like your favourite animal only dead.”
“So, if your home needs a tragic symbol of misguided love -- the misguided love of an incompetent amateur taxidermist for a beloved, elderly, scruffy cat or the misguided love of a new husband who thought getting his cat-loving bride a dead one for their first anniversary was a good idea -- then please consider bidding,” she writes.
If you’re interested in bidding for the piece, head to ebay.
- MindThe tools that helped this author overcome his battle with depression
Good Health ChoicesToday 11:00am
- FamilyThe Kiwi mum who couldn't find a decent parenting book so wrote one herself
Now To LoveToday 8:30pm
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am