Why people stay in toxic relationships
Are you in a toxic friendship?
- They keep trying to change you. You begin to feel that you are not good enough the way you are.
- You feel they are competing with you rather than supporting your successes.
- It's all about them, always – they don't listen to you, and twist the conversation back to them when you try to express yourself.
- They're overly dependent – you begin to feel burdened and become more concerned with their needs and feelings than your own.
- They're meddling in your life and not respecting your boundaries. They give unasked for opinions, and take liberties on your behalf.
- They ghost you or are inconsistently available to you. They don't explain what's happening or why so you are left anxious and uncertain.
- They exclude or isolate you from social events or other parts of their life. They are a closed book and refuse to let you in to some aspects of themselves.
- They break promises and are unreliable. You begin to feel wary and untrusting that they will do what they say.
- They are hyper-critical and judgemental. You find yourself constantly apologising or on the defence.