When The Block NZ judge Kristina Rapley invites Woman's Day into her West Auckland home, she's full of apologies, explaining her house is "pre-reno". Yet we're greeted by beautiful wooden floors, colourful furniture, bright pot plants and a breathtaking view of a jungle-like backyard.
Her on-trend decorating makes it clear why the Your Home and Garden magazine editor was chosen for her role on the Three reality series, but two of the things she's most proud of in her home aren't anything to do with interior design – they're her husband Ashton and her adorable dog Blue. And if she were to ever sign up for the show herself, she says Ashton would be her teammate of choice.
"He's the ultimate handyman and is one of the most determined people I know, so he's the perfect reno partner," laughs Kristina.
"He's also totally property-obsessed – he is across every single new property listing in West Auckland. We renovated our first home together, a little cottage in Swanson. It was very much a DIY affair and we learnt so much."
This year has been full of milestones for Kristina, who not only scored her first TV role but also married Ashton after a seven-year romance.
"Shelley [Ferguson] convinced me to do a screen test," the brunette beauty tells.
"I was definitely apprehensive, but I knew I'd regret it if I passed up such a cool opportunity. Working in magazines and media my whole career, I'm used to being behind the camera, so being in front of it is so weird. It's even strange being interviewed by you as I'm usually the interviewer!"
Now that she's had her eyes opened to just how hard the contestants work, Kristina says she won't be competing any time soon.
She laughs, "I've always wanted to sign up but couldn't because of work. Now, after seeing the dire living conditions from the first few weeks, I think it was probably for the best!"
Scroll down for more images of Kristina's stunning home.
- At homeHow clean, green living can start with small day-to-day changes in the kitchen
Now To LoveToday 10:45am
- TVLaura Daniel and her DWTS partner Shae Mountain get matching tattoos
Now To LoveToday 10:41am
- RoyalsPrince William was just asked how he'd feel if one of his children came out as gay
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- CareerMeet the trailblazing female shepherd who won a prestigious award previously only won by men
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:18am
- RoyalsYet another example of the harsh double standard Duchess Meghan faces
Now To LoveToday 8:15am
- RoyalsSarah, Duchess of York, is recognised with an award for her charity work
Now To LoveYesterday 12:10pm
- RoyalsHow much do the royal family spend on travel a year?
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen just passed on this very special patronage to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Sophia and Mikaere: 'We'll come out stronger than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 8:05am
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveJun 25, 2019
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJun 25, 2019