Shelley Ferguson, is the editorial director of home and fashion magazines at Bauer Media, including Simply You, and co-host of The Block. She lives in Birkenhead, Auckland with husband Steve and her children Flynn and Jett.
We moved here in May 2016. We had a house up the road and had architectural plans done and were going to do this big renovation. Then I drove down from the shops and there was a 'for sale' sign outside this house. I rang my husband and said, "Babe we've got a problem... we have to have this house."
It was so emotional for me; I'd never felt that way before.
I think some people are put off by a 60s house but I always loved how it already looked. I'm very drawn to that mid-century design. When I started looking into it, it was a time when architects wanted that connection to nature and so the big glass sliders came in.
Nature is incredibly important for me. I'm so inspired by it so usually the colours, textures and everything I naturally gravitate towards can be found outside too.When we got here the lines of the house were really beautiful so I didn't want to change any of that - it was all cosmetic changes that we've done. It had blue carpet and blue walls. Steve and I painted the interior ourselves; it took us a month. It was hell.
We did it at night, cranked the tunes and had a couple of wines and just got through it. In other houses we've had newborns, toddlers and your living space is not your living space because it's always messy with toys and washing everywhere.
But when we moved here the boys (now four-and-a-half and six) were a bit older. This house is so much better so they have their own lounge downstairs. So naturally up here is more of an adult space.
I split this area into two zones - the lounge, which has the fire and the TV; and then this little zone with the blue chairs, which we call our adult zone. It has two bucket chairs and we often look out and have a wine and a platter.
And of course, now it's the boys' favourite place. They call it their wrestling pit and they sit in the chairs and pretend they're driving. I guess that's what it should be.
They're still running around and jumping on the chairs so I wouldn't buy anything too breakable but they're actually really respectful little boys.
The outside of my house is painted blue so when I describe my home I say it's something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue! I don't think I have any type of interior style. I'm a bit of a collector; I love vintage shops and second-hand shopping.
I like things that mean something to me and that make me and the family happy. You can pull trends in and out but your base style should be about you. So there are things in here like my nana's crystal that was passed down from family. I remember them pulling out the sherry glasses when I was little.
- RoyalsPrince George and Princess Charlotte's special bond with Archie
Now To LoveToday 1:30pm
- WeddingsJacinda Ardern has revealed new details about how Clarke Gayford proposed to her
Now To LoveToday 1:28pm
- BodyThe truth about osteoporosis and bone health for Kiwi women
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 1:00pm
- CareerMean Mums' Anna Jullienne: What she's learned about raising boys, and other fun facts
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 1:00pm
- FamilyJacinda Ardern reveals who Neve gets her 'strong will' from
Now To LoveToday 10:42am
- TVMy Kitchen Rules' Piper breaks her silence on her relationship with Victor
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- BodyHayley Holt opens up about how sobriety has made her braver and stronger
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:30am
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesJul 20, 2019
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS' Tamara Joy has hooked up with the brother of a fellow MAFS bride
Now To LoveJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019