When Jess sits down with her family for Christmas lunch this year, it'll be an occasion that brings back bittersweet memories – at the exact same time 17 years ago, she had just lost her leg to cancer and was close to dying.
"My immune system and body were really weak, and I was having chemo," recalls the social media star, 26.
"That was definitely the toughest time and the sickest I ever was. On Christmas Day, the hospital tried really hard to make it special. My sisters and I got sacks of presents, but I just had zero interest in it, which, as a nine-year-old kid, shows just how sick I was."
To top it off, she recently she took on the role of co-host at Auckland's Coca-Cola Christmas in the Park in front of thousands of people, plus many more watching at home.
"I do think we've lost the meaning of Christmas recently," says Jess.
"Whatever your beliefs or religion, the day is all about family. That's why it's so important for people to go to free events like Christmas in the Park – it's about having a good time with the people you love."
- CareerMeet the trailblazing female shepherd who won a prestigious award previously only won by men
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:18am
- RoyalsYet another example of the harsh double standard Duchess Meghan faces
Now To LoveToday 8:15am
- RoyalsSarah, Duchess of York, is recognised with an award for her charity work
Now To LoveToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsHow much do the royal family spend on travel a year?
Now To LoveToday 11:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen just passed on this very special patronage to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveToday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Sophia and Mikaere: 'We'll come out stronger than ever'
Woman's DayToday 8:05am
- TVWhy 2019's Dancing with the Stars cast was so close - and who's missing who now that it's over
Now To LoveYesterday 3:42pm
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine and Prince William are reportedly planning a royal tour of Asia this year
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Martha Kalifatidis opens up about being bullied
Now To LoveYesterday 9:55am
- FamilyMental health advocate Mike King opens up about his daughter Alex following in his footsteps
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:41am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has upgraded her engagement ring from Prince Harry
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyThe woman who supported Arthur Taylor through four decades in prison
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am