When Jess sits down with her family for Christmas lunch this year, it'll be an occasion that brings back bittersweet memories – at the exact same time 17 years ago, she had just lost her leg to cancer and was close to dying.
"My immune system and body were really weak, and I was having chemo," recalls the social media star, 26.
"That was definitely the toughest time and the sickest I ever was. On Christmas Day, the hospital tried really hard to make it special. My sisters and I got sacks of presents, but I just had zero interest in it, which, as a nine-year-old kid, shows just how sick I was."
To top it off, she recently she took on the role of co-host at Auckland's Coca-Cola Christmas in the Park in front of thousands of people, plus many more watching at home.
"I do think we've lost the meaning of Christmas recently," says Jess.
"Whatever your beliefs or religion, the day is all about family. That's why it's so important for people to go to free events like Christmas in the Park – it's about having a good time with the people you love."
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am