A year on since her breast cancer diagnosis, National Party MP Nikki Kaye says she's much more "grateful for life" and kinder to herself.
"While it's been the most horrific experience it's also been the most beautiful, in that I think I'm more confident and I am better to myself."
At the NEXT Woman Of The Year Awards last night, she revealed that she has learned about "the power of being vulnerable and the power of asking other people for help".
"I've got some really good friends," she says.
Kaye made it a priority to attend last night's awards because she felt it so important to celebrate the Kiwi women who are making a difference to all of our lives.
"What we need to think about is it's not just about the women in the room, there are a whole lot of other eyes across New Zealand that are watching us and so we need to be able to celebrate the women in this room and raise awareness of their stories because of the inspiration that has to a whole lot of other women in New Zealand."
Kaye names her 96-year-old grandmother, who only recently passed away, as the woman who has inspired her most in life.
"The reason she's been my role model is she's always been a really strong person who's fought for what she's believed in."
- CareerMeet Christine Fernyhough - the intrepid Auckland housewife who took on a high country farm and won
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- RelationshipsJay-Jay Feeney dishes on her sizzling summer with her 'toyboy' Minou
Woman's DayToday 8:00am
- MindHilary Barry's perfect clap back at a viewer: ‘Enough with the age-shaming’
Now To LoveJan 24, 2020
- Diet & NutritionDiet and ‘detox’ teas have been pulled from New Zealand shelves
Now To LoveJan 23, 2020
- CareerNigella Lawson's new direction at 60: 'I feel so much more open to anything and everything'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJan 23, 2020
- WeddingsIt's love-all for tennis star Michael Venus as he marries the mother of his child
Woman's DayJan 23, 2020
- Pregnancy & BirthBreakfast’s Hayley Holt is expecting her first child
Now To LoveJan 22, 2020
- Real LifeFacing the fiery inferno: Kiwi family's frightening Aussie bushfire ordeal
Woman's DayJan 22, 2020