Janelle’s tips on how to help others navigating the cancer journey
Janelle's marathon preparation
- Janelle's training programme includes four runs a week – two smaller runs, a medium run and a longer run.
- Shoe Clinic has given her two pairs of shoes. One pair is more supportive and has plenty of memory foam, whereas the other pair helps with shorter runs and tempo running. By switching between the two pairs, Janelle's maximising what she can get out of them and giving the memory foam on her longer-run shoes a greater chance of recovery, so in turn they last longer.
- Socks are also important. Janelle's invested in six pairs of Dry Max socks because she's prone to blisters. She's got different socks for her shorter runs, medium runs, and proper blister preventative socks for her longer runs.
- Stretching and foam rolling for fascia release helps to prevent Janelle's hip flexors from getting tight during the run. If she needs to do more spot targeted fascia release, she finds rolling on a cricket ball to be more effective, particularly on her glutes.
- Janelle gets regular acupuncture because she finds it to be the best way to work on any tight muscles or ligaments that need to be loosened up.