How many times have you heard the phrase "Just be yourself"?
It's easier said than done in a society where conformity is the norm and letting down our walls can be scary. Our true self is who we are when we let go of all of the stories, labels, and judgments we've placed upon ourselves – it's who we naturally are without hiding behind a mask.
Here are some steps to start you on the journey.
If you've watched small children, you'll know how little they care about what others think of them. They're simply in the moment.
They haven't yet been socialised to 'fit in' with society and don't care if people think they're silly while they play, dance or cartwheel around the place.
Try to connect with your inner child, drop the seriousness – just smile, have fun and enjoy the moment.
If you pay attention to them, you may be shocked by the number of negative thoughts that run through your mind daily.
Eventually, our reality begins to take shape based on these conditioned thinking patterns.
It's important to remember that we've all taken on unconscious beliefs over the years that were handed down to us from others. Process these thoughts by sitting quietly each morning for five minutes before starting your day.
Becoming more aware of the quality of your thoughts, letting go of old beliefs, and being more present can all help towards revealing your true self.
If you find yourself playing roles with different people, ask yourself, 'How would I act right now if I didn't care what others thought of me?'
Ever ignored your intuition because you felt obligated to others?
Stayed in an unfulfilling job that made you miserable because you were afraid of what others would think if you left? Accepted invites or opportunities because you were fearful of disappointing people?
If you push yourself out of your comfort zone, follow your true values and do what you love, you'll allow your true shelf to shine.
Tip: Write down the things you like about yourself and the things you can improve on. We can't change others, but we can work on ourselves.
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveToday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveToday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveToday 9:48am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 8:30am
- Destinations CitiesTranquil Tahiti: Where the tastes of France, Polynesia and China meet
- CareerHow Kiwi women are using technology to fit their work around their lifestyles
- CareerPlaying his idol in a new miniseries: Mosese Veaila's real-life connection to Jonah Lomu
Woman's DayYesterday 9:55am
- BodyLily McManus' secret battle: Why she hid her hearing loss
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerMeryl Streep on turning 70, her greatest loss and why she's grateful to Jane Fonda
The Australian Women's WeeklyAug 17, 2019
- RoyalsSuits just made a cute reference to Duchess Meghan’s new life as a royal
Now To LoveAug 16, 2019
- RoyalsThe royal family celebrate Princess Anne's 69th birthday
Now To LoveAug 16, 2019
- CareerMeet new Zealand's fastest under-21 female drag racer
Woman's DayAug 16, 2019