It’s no secret that Law & Order: Special Victims Unit gets inspiration from real news for the show’s plotlines.
In the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal which has seen some of Hollywood’s biggest actresses accuse the producer of sexual harassment, it seems SVU will be covering the case in their own way.
“We are hitting Harvey Weinstein head-on, but it’s not in the realm of the entertainment business,” executive producer Michael Chernuchin told Entertainment Weekly.
“It’s a real important episode about the rape culture in an industry, and we wanted to try stretch the law to criminalise that sort of environment.”
WATCH: Hollywood's biggest scandals (story continues after video)
The episode will deviate a little (the TV show is fiction after all) and focus on an airline as opposed to Hollywood.
Michael went on to explain that they were writing an episode on the “boys club” as the Weinstein case broke in the news.
“We were actually working on a story about airline pilots and what a boys club that is,” Michael said. “We were beating the story out and said, ‘Wow, this is exactly what the actresses go through in Hollywood. It’s the same environment.’ So we got all of our Harvey stuff out with airline pilots.”
In early October, The New York Times published the story of Weinstein’s abuse that had spanned decades. The news has encouraged others to speak out about other high-profile figures including Brett Ratner and Kevin Spacey.
The Law & Order: SVU episode will air in 2018.
- FamilyHappy birthday Neve! New Zealand's First Baby turns one!
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- FitnessAdele’s taken up a new healthy hobby and it’s helped her lose more than 6kg
Now To LoveToday 10:45am
- RelationshipsOlympic rower Emma Twigg's whirlwind proposal: 'When you know, you know'
Woman's DayToday 10:00am
- FitnessSilver Swans: the ballet class for dancers aged 55-plus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:15am
- CompetitionsBe in to win the trip of a lifetime to Italy with Jo Seagar!
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- RoyalsMike Tindall makes the Queen laugh when he reveals what's hiding under his top hat
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- RoyalsA woman is in hospital after an accident involving Prince William and Duchess Catherine's royal convoy
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- Real LifeJoyous news! Sub title technology for the hearing impaired is being trialled at NZ cinemas
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsRoyal ladies in blue! See all the gorgeous outfits from the first day of Royal Ascot 2019
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- MindGemma McCaw's 6 steps to being confident in your own skin
Woman's DayYesterday 9:00am
- BodyWhy entering middle-age is actually the perfect time to get your health back on track
Good Health ChoicesJun 18, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has opened up about the ‘joy’ of adopting rescue animals
Now To LoveJun 18, 2019
- TVCan Matty McLean surprise us all and last the distance on Celebrity Treasure Island?
Now To LoveJun 18, 2019