Hollywood's Arquette family are in mourning following the death of their sister, Alexis, over the weekend.
The actress, whose roles included a Boy George impersonator in The Wedding Singer and the lead in New Zealand movie Jack Be Nimble, died surrounded by family and friends and listening to David Bowie’s hit Starman, says gossip site TMZ.
Arquette, who was born Robert, was the sibling of stars Patricia, Rosanna and David Arquette.
Her brother Richmond posted an emotional tribute to his sister, written by Patricia, on Facebook: “She fiercely lived her reality in a world where it is dangerous to be a trans person — a world largely unready to accept differences among human beings, and where there is still the ugliness of violence and hostility towards people that we may not understand.”
Brother David Arquette has taken to Twitter to post thanks for the outpouring of condolences.
The cause of Alexis' death has not been revealed, but TMZ reported that she had been battling an illness. Another gossip site, Radar Online, has reported she had been in a coma for four days at LA’s Cedars-Sinai hospital and “no one was allowed to see her except for family”.
Arquette made her film debut in 1989’s Last Exit to Brooklyn. She went on to have supporting roles in Pulp Fiction and The Wedding Singer where she sang the Boy George classic Karma Chameleon over and over. The singer has also paid tribute to her on Twitter.
Alexis transitioned from male to female in 2006 and made a documentary called Alexis Arquette: She’s My Brother about her journey. The 47-year-old was also an outspoken advocate of transgender rights.
WATCH: Alexis Arquette dies aged 47
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveToday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveToday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveToday 11:19am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveYesterday 2:28pm
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry are reportedly splitting their royal household after 10 years together
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 17, 2019
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesFeb 17, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveFeb 17, 2019