In a joint statement released to multiple outlets, the couple said: "We can confirm that we have separated and have been for some time. We do however continue as great friends with the utmost respect for one another. We ask for our privacy during this time."
The former duo first met while working together on the 2011 film Season of the Witch. They married in 2014, and welcomed their first child together one year later -- daughter Ivy Rose.
Claire, who took home a Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild Award for her role as Queen Elizabeth II on The Crown, recently opened up about leaving the show after its second season.
"As an actor, there's nothing worse than the sound of 'seven years.' I'm sure to some people it sounds amazing but to us it's like, seven years of playing the same person? And this is a tough job, you know?" she said at the British Film Institute and Radio Times Festival.
"It's long, a good nine-mouther. And that's a lot of your life that you sign over to it. I'm going to miss it terribly. But I just can't wait to see where it goes, I just can't wait."
Claire has since handed her crown over to Olivia Colman, for the simple reason that at 33-years-old she's too young to convincingly play the Queen into the 1970s -- where the hit show will venture in its third season.
The actress, though, is thrilled with her replacement, telling reporters recently: "I know who's doing it and I'm not telling you. It's really exciting and great and amazing."
But fans needn't fret!
Claire's next on-screen role will be alongside Ryan Gosling, who plays Neil Armstrong in their upcoming film First Man, directed by Damien Chazelle.
She's also set to take over from Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, starring in the upcoming The Girl in the Spider's Web -- her first blockbuster role to date.
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am