If your relationship is beyond repair and you’ve made the decision to go your separate ways, here are some guidelines on how to best handle divorce.
Separating from their other parent is going to have a big impact and possibly leave them feeling very upset, confused and vulnerable. Think about how this is affecting them and try to keep the situation as positive as possible, even if that is tricky.
They may want to be there for you, especially older ones, but you are the grown-up in this situation and it is wrong to burden them with too much. Talk to your friends or peers, or even consider professional counselling.
They are the expert when it comes to dealing with divorces and will be acting in your best interest. They may know about all sorts of things you’re entitled to that you haven’t considered.
Such as who is going to live where and how marital property is going to be split up. You don’t want to later on regret something you do in the heat of the moment.
But spare them the nitty-gritty. They don’t need to know all the details, especially if they are still young. You can be honest about your other half without being nasty.
You may feel it’s one way of getting over your divorce and it can help you to feel wanted again, but rebound relationships often aren’t good for either party involved. Give yourself a bit of time to recover and regroup before moving on.
All too often children feel that they are somehow responsible.
This can be a problem if it was your other half who took care of money matters. It is crucial to know how much money you have between you and how much you are entitled to.
Especially if you have kids and need to organise custody arrangements. Unless they were abusive, it is a good idea to remain civil because there is a lot to sort out.
What happened, happened. Stop trying to analyse what went wrong and instead look to the future.
There must have been some. You don’t want the experience of a marriage that didn’t work out to leave you bitter, so take some good out of it.
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsWhy we’re unlikely to see much of Duchess Catherine and Prince William over the coming month
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- WeddingsA wedding photographer has sparked heated debate after urging wedding guests to put away their phones
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Real LifeYoung dad's incredible feat to save his family from certain death
Woman's DayYesterday 9:30am
- CareerThe tough Kiwi women who are running organisations that were traditionally 'boys' clubs'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:17am
- FamilyShortland Street's Laurel Devenie introduces her gorgeous new arrival to the world
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- Relationships9 common dating mistakes - and how you can avoid making them
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Sophia and Mikaere disqualified after cheating scandal
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- FamilyRobbie Magasiva opens up about the devastating loss of his beloved brother Pua
Woman's DayJul 15, 2019