She may play a murderous doctor on Shortland Street, but actress Bree Peters is far from a villian. However, some viewers of the popular soap are struggling to separate her on-screen persona with her personal one, hurling abuse at her both online and in person.
The actress recently revealed on TV One’s Breakfast that she has been the subject of bullying since appearing on the beloved soap. She has been spat at in the street and ridiculed about her looks and acting skills online, so much so that she has shut done all her social media accounts.
Bree spoke with Ali Pugh about how upsetting she has found the abuse, along with her fellow Shortland Street actress Kerry-Lee Dewing, who also admitted to fielding criticism from the public. While the pair acknowledge it’s testament to their acting skills, they admit it’s been a lowlight of their time in the spotlight.
In a twist of irony, since opening up about her struggles with online bullying on Breakfast, Bree has been showered in support online. Users have praised her acting skills, citing them as a big reason for the public’s animosity towards her.
“Bree Peters is an awesome actor who makes Shortland Street more interesting,” Victoria Leilani Avealalo wrote on the Shortland Street Facebook page. “Love your acting, it’s so realistic. Just thought that you should know.”
Stan Walker has also made a statement on Instagram, urging people to lay off Bree. “Follow & support this talented woman & actually give her some props for convincing you all of her character…. #stopbullying.”
WATCH: Bree Peters talks about being bullied
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveToday 1:45pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight's Bronson breaks his silence on THAT comment to Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 3:36pm
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveYesterday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveYesterday 11:19am
- Married at First SightThe truth about MAFS' Sam Ball's honeymoon vanishing act - his ex-girlfriend speaks out
Now To LoveYesterday 11:10am
- RoyalsWhy Prince William and Duchess Catherine will be taking a break from their royal duties this week
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019