Riverdale star KJ Apa has opened up about receiving death threats for being involved in A Dog’s Purpose, the international film that hit headlines earlier this year after “leaked” footage showed a dog being thrown into a river for a scene.
The video, which quickly sparked allegations of animal abuse on the part of the film crew, was later investigated and found to be fake – but the news came too late to stop the torrent of criticism levelled at the movie as a result of the footage.
“As soon as that came out, I was getting a lot of s—t for it on social media, even death threats,” KJ told Fairfax of the reaction to the video.
“I didn’t even work with that dog.”
The footage, which was originally released online through TMZ, saw animal rights group PETA calling for a boycott, a claim which was later taken up by several celebrities.
At the time, KJ was forced to make a statement about the movie on social media, saying he would “never EVER condone inhumane treatment or abuse of an animal at any time”.
“I want you guys to know that I would NEVER attach myself to a project that didn’t treat animals with the utmost care, and honestly, the possibility that an animal could’ve been hurt is troubling to me,” he continued.
The investigation of the video later found it had been "deliberately edited for the purpose of misleading the public and stoking public outrage".
- BodyToni Street reflects on the extreme toll her auto-immune disease took on her body
Now To LoveToday 4:02pm
- WeddingsTwo years in the making: Tiki Taane's epic marriage proposal
Woman's DayToday 1:55pm
- TVAussie Bachelor Matt Agnew's embarrassing kissing confession
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- RoyalsA royal biographer dishes on what the Queen carries in her handbag
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- MoneyEverything you need to know about saving for your retirement
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- CareerPaul Henry reveals he's 'in talks' to return to TV
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin an indulgent prize pack from Young Living Oils
Now To LoveToday 7:00am
- Diet & NutritionHere are 6 energy-boosting food alternatives to coffee
Now To LoveYesterday 2:45pm
- Food & DrinksThese Kiwi oats are the perfect go-to breakfast for busy mornings
Now To LoveYesterday 1:00pm
- FamilyA former teen mum shares how she went from pregnant prefect to top of NZ in her career
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- RelationshipsGreg Boyed's widow posts a touching tribute on the first anniversary of his death
Now To LoveYesterday 11:32am
- TVSam Wallace and Eric Murray bare all on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsRevealed: Where Duchess Meghan found inspiration for her wedding day makeup look
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Travel News'Travel agents are retro' and 3 other misconceptions about travel consultants debunked
Now To LoveYesterday 10:11am
- PetsNZ police have posted a touching tribute to Constable Elliott: the world's first police guinea pig
Now To LoveYesterday 9:21am
- CareerBlack Ferns star Kendra Cocksedge: Living her dream and on a mission to help others live theirs
Woman's DayYesterday 8:10am
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayAug 20, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveAug 20, 2019