Move over conscious uncoupling, there's a new celebrity divorce term in town: the gentle separation.
In deciding to publicly address his split from Jennifer Aniston for the first time, Justin Theroux has inadvertenly pulled a Gwyneth Paltrow and coined a break-up phrase we can't help but unpick.
Speaking to the New York Times, Justin called his divorce "heartbreaking" before insisting that it was in fact amicable. Then came a very Hollywood phrase that probably only A-listers can pull off.
"The good news is that was probably the most - I'm choosing my words really carefully, it was kind of the most gentle separation," he said, "in that there was no animosity. In a weird way, just sort of navigating the inevitable perception of it is the exhausting part."
It's with sad irony that we read the last line of his quote, because ultimately in trying to minimise any hint of drama around the divorce and prevent tabloid rumours, he has unwittingly evoked think piece after think piece with everyone wondering, both for fun and with genuine intrigue, what exactly is a gentle separation and is it different to conscious uncoupling?
We can assume Justin is simply stating there was no aggression or anger involved in the break-up.
Whatever happened, we wish both Jen and Justin all the best.
Via our sister site Grazia.
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry spent Valentine's Day next to a shrine dedicated to himself and Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Matthew Bennett insists losing his virginity to Lauren hasn't changed him
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayFeb 14, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 14, 2019
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019