Move over conscious uncoupling, there's a new celebrity divorce term in town: the gentle separation.
In deciding to publicly address his split from Jennifer Aniston for the first time, Justin Theroux has inadvertenly pulled a Gwyneth Paltrow and coined a break-up phrase we can't help but unpick.
Speaking to the New York Times, Justin called his divorce "heartbreaking" before insisting that it was in fact amicable. Then came a very Hollywood phrase that probably only A-listers can pull off.
"The good news is that was probably the most - I'm choosing my words really carefully, it was kind of the most gentle separation," he said, "in that there was no animosity. In a weird way, just sort of navigating the inevitable perception of it is the exhausting part."
It's with sad irony that we read the last line of his quote, because ultimately in trying to minimise any hint of drama around the divorce and prevent tabloid rumours, he has unwittingly evoked think piece after think piece with everyone wondering, both for fun and with genuine intrigue, what exactly is a gentle separation and is it different to conscious uncoupling?
We can assume Justin is simply stating there was no aggression or anger involved in the break-up.
Whatever happened, we wish both Jen and Justin all the best.
Via our sister site Grazia.
- RoyalsWhy the Queen allowed Duchess Catherine to break protocol and kiss her in public
Now To LoveToday 3:18pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie’s latest outfit has a sweet connection to her royal wedding last year
Now To LoveToday 11:45am
- Real LifeA Christchurch surgeon describes what it was like to be working on the day of the mosque attacks
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- RoyalsSee the vibrant flower that's been named after Baby Archie
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- Pregnancy & BirthNewshub's Melissa Davies is pregnant with her first child
Now To LoveToday 9:08am
- WeddingsUnlucky-in-love MAFS bride Ning sells her unworn wedding dress in an attempt to 'bury' her past
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveYesterday 10:25am
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Daniel Webb reveals he has received death threats
Now To LoveYesterday 8:12am
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:00am
- FamilyAmy Schumer is 'mom-shamed' for returning to work two weeks after having her baby
Now To LoveMay 22, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks pretty in pink at the latest Buckingham Palace Garden Party
Now To LoveMay 22, 2019