Julie Andrews made a name for herself in films such as Mary Poppins, but now the actress has revealed that the role could have killed her, after a stunt went wrong during a famous scene.
The stunt involved Julie, 81, flying through the air on a harness attached to wires, while holding an umbrella.
“There was a very dangerous day right at the end of filming when I was in this excruciatingly painful harness,” Andrews told The Late Show. “And I was hanging around up there for the longest time with the umbrella.”
“I thought I felt the wire leave [and] drop about six inches. I was nervous," explained Andrews.
“So, I called down and I said, ‘Excuse me, when you do let me down, could you let me down really gently, because I felt myself slip and I just don’t feel too safe up here.’”
But Julie wasn't let down gently at all. As she was lowered, she crashed to the stage.
“I plummeted to the stage,” Andrews said. “And there was an awful silence for a minute and I did let fly with a few Anglo-Saxon four letter words, I have to admit.”
Luckily, Julie was unharmed, but it could have been a very different story.
- At homeHow clean, green living can start with small day-to-day changes in the kitchen
Now To LoveToday 10:45am
- TVLaura Daniel and her DWTS partner Shae Mountain get matching tattoos
Now To LoveToday 10:41am
- RoyalsPrince William was just asked how he'd feel if one of his children came out as gay
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- CareerMeet the trailblazing female shepherd who won a prestigious award previously only won by men
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:18am
- RoyalsYet another example of the harsh double standard Duchess Meghan faces
Now To LoveToday 8:15am
- RoyalsSarah, Duchess of York, is recognised with an award for her charity work
Now To LoveYesterday 12:10pm
- RoyalsHow much do the royal family spend on travel a year?
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen just passed on this very special patronage to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Sophia and Mikaere: 'We'll come out stronger than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 8:05am
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveJun 25, 2019
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJun 25, 2019