Nearly 15 years after his high-profile Hollywood split from Uma Thurman, Ethan Hawke has opened up about their divorce and his subsequent struggles in his career and personal life.
Shorly before Ethan, 47, split with Uma, 48, in 2003, the actor received an Oscar nomination for his role in Training Day. Though the moment should have been pivotal for his career, Ethan recalled things going much differently because of his broken marriage.
"In a lot of ways, it could have been the beginning of something. It was the best moment of my career. Like, maybe, maybe, you could be commercially viable. But I got divorced and my personal life fell apart," Ethan told GQ in a new interview.
"I don't know if you feel this way, but when you're depressed, it's really easy to see everything that is fake about other people and life, and I just started seeing all that," he continued. "How phoney celebrity was, how phoney everything is. You channel your inner Holden Caulﬁeld, you know?" he said, referring to J. D. Salinger's famous tortured character in the book The Catcher In The Rye.
The father-of-four then said filming the 2004 drama Before Sunset during his split from Uma ultimately helped him heal. "That was the height of my marriage falling apart. And getting to spend that summer with Julie Delpy and Richard Linklater, reconnecting with a part of myself that was more... what's the right word? Idealised. A cleaner self. That was a great summer. And it really helped me put myself back together," he shared.
Ethan also said he's grateful for his two children — daughter Maya Thurman-Hawke, 20, and son Levon Thurman-Hawke, 16 — with Uma for helping him through that tough time.
"Work. Theater. My kids. That's the wonderful thing about children is they just need you every day. It gives your life balance. Meaning your whole life isn't just about yourself," he said.
This story originally appeared on Closer.
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveToday 1:45pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight's Bronson breaks his silence on THAT comment to Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 3:36pm
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveYesterday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveYesterday 11:19am
- Married at First SightThe truth about MAFS' Sam Ball's honeymoon vanishing act - his ex-girlfriend speaks out
Now To LoveYesterday 11:10am
- RoyalsWhy Prince William and Duchess Catherine will be taking a break from their royal duties this week
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019