Angelina Jolie has given a typically restrained, yet revealing new interview for the September issue of Vanity Fair.
In the cover story, shot by renowned photographers Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott, Angelina, 42, opened up about her headline-making divorce from Brad Pitt and how their children are coping with the split.
“It’s just been the hardest time, and we’re just kind of coming up for air,” she told the publication. “We’re all trying to do our best to heal our family.”
She added that the family are still "healing" from the events that led to the divorce.
"They’re not healing from divorce. They’re healing from some . . . from life, from things in life," she said.
The Oscar-winning actress and U.N.Goodwill ambassador reportedly filed for divorce following a fight between Brad and their eldest child Maddox, while the family was aboard a private jet. Several reports have indicated that Brad was “verbally abusive” and became “physical” with the 15-year-old as the altercation slowly spiralled out of control.
“Things got bad,” she admitted. “I didn’t want to use that word. . . . Things became ‘difficult.’”
The mother-of-six went on to praise her "strong-minded" children -- Maddox, 15, Pax, 13, Zahara, 11, Shiloh, 10, and 8-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne -- for their bravery during the difficult time.
"They’re six very strong-minded, thoughtful, worldly individuals,” she said. “I’m very proud of them. They’ve been very brave. They were very brave.”
In the interview, Jolie also reveals that she developed hypertension and Bell’s palsy -- a condition which results in damage to facial nerves.
"I can’t tell if it’s menopause or if it’s just been the year I’ve had,” she said.
"Sometimes women in families put themselves last, until it manifests itself in their own health,” Angelina continued. "I actually feel more of a woman because I feel like I’m being smart about my choices, and I’m putting my family first, and I’m in charge of my life and my health.
She added: “I think that’s what makes a woman complete.”
WATCH: Brad Pitt on fatherhood. Post continues after the video...
Angelina previously opened up about her highly-publicised divorce in a pre-taped interview aired on Good Morning America.
Speaking with the show’s co-host George Stephanopolous, the 41-year-old actress revealed that the Jolie-Pitt brood are committed to focusing on the continued "health" of their family.
"We are focusing on the health of our family.”
She added, while seemingly holding back tears: “We will be stronger when we come out of this because that's what we're determined to do as a family."
The By The Sea also described her now ex-husband as "a wonderful father."
"Of course, of course," she responded when quizzed as to whether she still thought Brad was a good parent. "We will always be a family. Always."
WATCH: Angelina Jolie speaks about her headline-making divorce. Post continues...
- RelationshipsWhy women in their forties love Keanu Reeves and Alexandra Grant
Now To LoveToday 12:26pm
- WeddingsThe songs Kiwi celebrities walked down the aisle to
Now To LoveToday 8:35am
- FamilyThe best home and baby products for new and expectant parents
Now To LoveToday 8:20am
- MindListening to Adele in the car can help reduce stress a new study has found
Now To LoveYesterday 2:45pm
- RoyalsPrince Charles celebrates his birthday with an unexpected pop star and launches a clothing collection
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Career'I always wanted to work with animals': A day in the life of a border control customs officer
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- BodyI survived breast cancer: Greg Sargeaunt is one of 25 Kiwi men diagnosed with breast cancer every year
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:10am
- TVJohn Campbell gets objectified by Matty McLean on Breakfast and loves it
Now To LoveYesterday 8:56am
- RoyalsThe Palace announces the Sussexes will not join the royal family for Christmas at Sandringham
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- CareerRachel Hunter on being single, her love affair with India and why she never feels alone
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 13, 2019
- Pregnancy & BirthHilaria Baldwin begins her journey of healing after miscarrying fifth child
Now To LoveNov 13, 2019
- PetsCelebrities and their pets: Shortland Street's Ria Vandervis and princess pooch Maeby
Woman's DayNov 13, 2019
- SkincareGemma McCaw's 4 natural beauty treatments you can make at home yourself
Now To LoveNov 13, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a Fitbit Versa Lite prizepack for Diabetes Action Month
Now To LoveNov 13, 2019
- Body4 reasons why a visit to this hidden oasis will have you feeling summer-ready
Now To LoveNov 12, 2019