Angelina Jolie has given a typically restrained, yet revealing new interview for the September issue of Vanity Fair.
In the cover story, shot by renowned photographers Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott, Angelina, 42, opened up about her headline-making divorce from Brad Pitt and how their children are coping with the split.
“It’s just been the hardest time, and we’re just kind of coming up for air,” she told the publication. “We’re all trying to do our best to heal our family.”
She added that the family are still "healing" from the events that led to the divorce.
"They’re not healing from divorce. They’re healing from some . . . from life, from things in life," she said.
The Oscar-winning actress and U.N.Goodwill ambassador reportedly filed for divorce following a fight between Brad and their eldest child Maddox, while the family was aboard a private jet. Several reports have indicated that Brad was “verbally abusive” and became “physical” with the 15-year-old as the altercation slowly spiralled out of control.
“Things got bad,” she admitted. “I didn’t want to use that word. . . . Things became ‘difficult.’”
The mother-of-six went on to praise her "strong-minded" children -- Maddox, 15, Pax, 13, Zahara, 11, Shiloh, 10, and 8-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne -- for their bravery during the difficult time.
"They’re six very strong-minded, thoughtful, worldly individuals,” she said. “I’m very proud of them. They’ve been very brave. They were very brave.”
In the interview, Jolie also reveals that she developed hypertension and Bell’s palsy -- a condition which results in damage to facial nerves.
"I can’t tell if it’s menopause or if it’s just been the year I’ve had,” she said.
"Sometimes women in families put themselves last, until it manifests itself in their own health,” Angelina continued. "I actually feel more of a woman because I feel like I’m being smart about my choices, and I’m putting my family first, and I’m in charge of my life and my health.
She added: “I think that’s what makes a woman complete.”
WATCH: Brad Pitt on fatherhood. Post continues after the video...
Angelina previously opened up about her highly-publicised divorce in a pre-taped interview aired on Good Morning America.
Speaking with the show’s co-host George Stephanopolous, the 41-year-old actress revealed that the Jolie-Pitt brood are committed to focusing on the continued "health" of their family.
"We are focusing on the health of our family.”
She added, while seemingly holding back tears: “We will be stronger when we come out of this because that's what we're determined to do as a family."
The By The Sea also described her now ex-husband as "a wonderful father."
"Of course, of course," she responded when quizzed as to whether she still thought Brad was a good parent. "We will always be a family. Always."
WATCH: Angelina Jolie speaks about her headline-making divorce. Post continues...
- MindHilary Barry's perfect clap back at a viewer: ‘Enough with the age-shaming’
Now To LoveToday 9:20am
- Diet & NutritionDiet and ‘detox’ teas have been pulled from New Zealand shelves
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- RelationshipsMatty McLean reveals what partner Ryan calls him… and it’s not what you'd think!
Now To LoveYesterday 1:26pm
- RoyalsPrince Charles met Greta Thunberg and revealed why he doesn't want to disappoint his grandchildren
Now To LoveYesterday 12:55pm
- CareerNigella Lawson's new direction at 60: 'I feel so much more open to anything and everything'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:38am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine speaks out about the isolation she felt when Prince George was a baby
Now To LoveYesterday 9:18am
- WeddingsIt's love-all for tennis star Michael Venus as he marries the mother of his child
Woman's DayYesterday 8:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthBreakfast’s Hayley Holt is expecting her first child
Now To LoveJan 22, 2020
- Real LifeFacing the fiery inferno: Kiwi family's frightening Aussie bushfire ordeal
Woman's DayJan 22, 2020
- FamilyRussell Crowe's heartwarming revelation about his sons strikes a chord with many
Now To LoveJan 21, 2020