Word on the street is that America is the best place in the world to remedy a neglected wardrobe and get on the front foot for the next season – or two, or three. You'll be absolutely amazed by how affordable it is to pick up clothing, accessories and footwear by iconic brands and top-end designers, and the prices, range and quality of everything, from everyday basics to bridal wear, will blow you away.
It's high time you found out if these rumours are true, and now it's easier and more convenient than ever to pop across to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago and Houston, thanks to Air New Zealand's non-stop flights from Auckland.
We've done a little homework on the USA's hottest shopping spots to help you piece together where to spend your time and money.
If you're planning a trip at the end of next year, make sure the Big Apple is on your itinerary. Air New Zealand will be flying non-stop from Auckland to New York* from October 29, 2020.
Hop off the plane at LAX and discover the legendary shopping locations of The Grove, Rodeo Drive, Melrose Avenue, Abbot Kinney Boulevard, 3rd Street Promenade and the outlets at Orange.
Cute boutiques are scattered across the city and the CBD is replete with department stores. Silicon Valley is nearby – great for new gadgets and accessories.
Michigan Avenue, aka The Magnificent Mile, has an impressive assortment of department stores, jewellers, boutiques and shopping malls. It's just a one-hour flight from Chicago to Minnesota's Mall of America, which has an indoor theme park at its centre.
Upsize your suitcase and hit The Galleria. With more than 400 stores, it's the largest and most luxurious shopping destination in Texas.
Start spreading the news – the shopping is exceptional, from boutiques and specialty stores throughout the city to the big name brands on Fifth and Madison Avenues.
Playing your cards right
You've nurtured your piggy bank, cleared the calendar and booked your Air New Zealand flights, and now the excitement is kicking in. Before you nestle into that window seat, pay a little forethought to a few practicalities:
• Familiarise yourself with American fashion sizing and bring a tape measure.
• Have you booked sufficient luggage allowance to bring your purchases home?
• Plan how you'll get around and book a rental car if necessary.
• Set yourself a budget so you don't blow all your resources at once!
Make it a reality at airnewzealand.co.nz/usa-the-kiwi-way
- At homeEntertaining with ease thanks to the latest tech products
Now To LoveToday 11:50am
- RoyalsTake a look back at Queen Elizabeth’s first televised Christmas message 62 years ago
Now To LoveToday 11:30am
- MindZac Guildford's candid confession about his battle with drugs and depression
Woman's DayToday 9:50am
- SkincareAcne and exfoliating: does it make your skin worse?
Now To LoveToday 8:00am
- RoyalsThe impact of having Sussex Royal follow you on Instagram
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- MakeupDo eyebrows grow back? How to regrow over plucked brows
Now To LoveYesterday 2:42pm
- FamilyThe new online shopping portal giving back to Kiwi charities
Now To LoveYesterday 1:11pm
- FamilyThe Topp Twins on facing their first Christmas without their beloved dad
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:50am
- CareerMeet the woman behind one of New Zealand's most classic Kiwi holiday tunes
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:44am
- PetsPet quirks and personalities: Finding the right pet for you and your family
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- SkincareThe difference between natural and chemical sunscreen
- BodyRadio star Sarah Gandy celebrates beating breast cancer
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan's tips for hosting the perfect Christmas dinner
Now To LoveDec 09, 2019
- FamilyGemma McCaw's Christmas joy: 'Words can't describe how grateful I am'
Woman's DayDec 09, 2019