Word on the street is that America is the best place in the world to remedy a neglected wardrobe and get on the front foot for the next season – or two, or three. You'll be absolutely amazed by how affordable it is to pick up clothing, accessories and footwear by iconic brands and top-end designers, and the prices, range and quality of everything, from everyday basics to bridal wear, will blow you away.
It's high time you found out if these rumours are true, and now it's easier and more convenient than ever to pop across to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago and Houston, thanks to Air New Zealand's non-stop flights from Auckland.
We've done a little homework on the USA's hottest shopping spots to help you piece together where to spend your time and money.
If you're planning a trip at the end of next year, make sure the Big Apple is on your itinerary. Air New Zealand will be flying non-stop from Auckland to New York* from October 29, 2020.
Hop off the plane at LAX and discover the legendary shopping locations of The Grove, Rodeo Drive, Melrose Avenue, Abbot Kinney Boulevard, 3rd Street Promenade and the outlets at Orange.
Cute boutiques are scattered across the city and the CBD is replete with department stores. Silicon Valley is nearby – great for new gadgets and accessories.
Michigan Avenue, aka The Magnificent Mile, has an impressive assortment of department stores, jewellers, boutiques and shopping malls. It's just a one-hour flight from Chicago to Minnesota's Mall of America, which has an indoor theme park at its centre.
Upsize your suitcase and hit The Galleria. With more than 400 stores, it's the largest and most luxurious shopping destination in Texas.
Start spreading the news – the shopping is exceptional, from boutiques and specialty stores throughout the city to the big name brands on Fifth and Madison Avenues.
Playing your cards right
You've nurtured your piggy bank, cleared the calendar and booked your Air New Zealand flights, and now the excitement is kicking in. Before you nestle into that window seat, pay a little forethought to a few practicalities:
• Familiarise yourself with American fashion sizing and bring a tape measure.
• Have you booked sufficient luggage allowance to bring your purchases home?
• Plan how you'll get around and book a rental car if necessary.
• Set yourself a budget so you don't blow all your resources at once!
Make it a reality at airnewzealand.co.nz/usa-the-kiwi-way
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020