Meryl Streep’s anti-Trump speech at the recent Golden Globes earned her a place in President Trump’s bad books (and twitter feed) – but she is far from the first celebrity to use her moment in the spotlight to promote a cause.
Many an A-lister has turned political, emotional or weird while accepting their gold statues. The Oscars have been the platform for some particularly strange displays.
Angelina Jolie declared that she is was in love with her brother, while accepting her Best Supporting actress Oscar for Girl Interrupted in 2000.
Bowling for Columbine director, Michael Moore, used his 2012 best Documentary Feature speech to speak out – or rather, yell out - against President George Bush.
The same year, Adrien Brody was so excited to win Best Actor for his role in The Pianist that he felt the need to passionately kiss Halle Berry – who presented the award.
In 1973 Marlon Brando famously sent a Native American Apache woman, Sacheen Littlefeather, to decline his Best Actor Academy Award that he received for The Godfather in protest of the film industry’s treatment of Native American people.
Watch the video for more memorable Oscar moments.
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveToday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveToday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveToday 11:19am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveYesterday 2:28pm
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry are reportedly splitting their royal household after 10 years together
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 17, 2019
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesFeb 17, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveFeb 17, 2019