An Australian family has opened up about their journey to acceptance with transgender daughter, Emma.
Emma, now 12, was born Ronan but her mother Megan said they knew their then-son was different from a very early age.
Speaking to 60 Minutes, she revealed Emma will be put on puberty blockers, followed by hormone replacement therapy and then eventually sex reassignment surgery should she wish to have it.
“She's been extremely worried about her Adam's apple. Obviously, nothing's changed whatsoever but, in her head, it's that obvious fear that, 'Oh,my god, I'm turning into a man!'” Megan said.
According to the family, the journey began when she caught Ronan, then recognised as a boy, trying to cut off his penis with a knife at just 4 years old.
“I found her in the room just with a knife and pants down, and she tried to cut off her own penis," Megan said. "[She] wanted to cut it off. She just didn't want it there. She didn't think it belonged there. She only ended up with a little scratch."
Emma was diagnosed with gender dysphoria at 8.
She’s now a bubbly young woman at 12 who is officially enrolled as a girl in high school.
Her parents Megan and David are supportive of her new identity, her father noting: “I think we did [make the right decision]. I couldn't see a future for Emma if we had of forced her to be Ronan, I don't think she would be here.”
- FamilyThe Kiwi mum who couldn't find a decent parenting book so wrote one herself
Now To LoveToday 8:30pm
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am