An Australian family has opened up about their journey to acceptance with transgender daughter, Emma.
Emma, now 12, was born Ronan but her mother Megan said they knew their then-son was different from a very early age.
Speaking to 60 Minutes, she revealed Emma will be put on puberty blockers, followed by hormone replacement therapy and then eventually sex reassignment surgery should she wish to have it.
“She's been extremely worried about her Adam's apple. Obviously, nothing's changed whatsoever but, in her head, it's that obvious fear that, 'Oh,my god, I'm turning into a man!'” Megan said.
According to the family, the journey began when she caught Ronan, then recognised as a boy, trying to cut off his penis with a knife at just 4 years old.
“I found her in the room just with a knife and pants down, and she tried to cut off her own penis," Megan said. "[She] wanted to cut it off. She just didn't want it there. She didn't think it belonged there. She only ended up with a little scratch."
Emma was diagnosed with gender dysphoria at 8.
She’s now a bubbly young woman at 12 who is officially enrolled as a girl in high school.
Her parents Megan and David are supportive of her new identity, her father noting: “I think we did [make the right decision]. I couldn't see a future for Emma if we had of forced her to be Ronan, I don't think she would be here.”
- TVBree Tomasel reveals her heartbreaking medical condition
Woman's DayYesterday 4:00pm
- RoyalsThe Queen “regretfully” cancels her appearance at UN climate change summit amid mounting fears for her health
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 2:20pm
- RoyalsPrincess Beatrice makes a glamorous appearance after welcoming baby Sienna with husband Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi
The Australian Women's WeeklyOct 26, 2021
- At homeBring some tranquility to your home with these trending paint colours
Now To LoveOct 25, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island's Edna Swart has found the one
Now To LoveOct 23, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi mum's courage: 'My boobs are ticking timebombs!'
Woman's DayOct 21, 2021
- Married at First SightWhich Married At First Sight season 8 couples are still together?
Now To LoveOct 19, 2021