Back in April, we covered the story of two Kiwis who were determined to create a fairy tale with a difference.
Wellington authors Adam Reynolds and Chaz Harris wanted to write a book for children that featured LGBTQ characters.
Growing up gay, both were bullied for their sexuality and found were no role models for them in the fairy tales they read as children, and they wanted to change this for future generations.
“We felt a story where the sexuality of the characters is not the focus can help contribute to early acceptance…for when kids encounter LGBT classmates or people later in life,” Adam explained.
That’s why the duo began a Kickstarter campaign to fund the production of their very first gay fairy tale.
Just a few months later, and Adam and Chaz are happy to announce they’ve reached their fundraising goal – and will have books out to fans by Valentine’s Day 2017.
The authors actually doubled the money needed to produce the books, allowing them to create an Audiobook version and e-book too.
“It was very validating to know that people did want to see more stories like this,” says Adam.
“We decided to go with 14 February 2017 because Valentine’s Day is aligned with our ‘Love is Love’ message.”
“There are so few stories available for parents to safely and easily discuss with their kids that the world is full of all kinds of relationships and to encourage the acceptance of that,” says Chaz.
And with the recent tragic suicide of Tyrone Unsworth in Australia, who killed himself after being bullied over his sexuality, the authors say their story is more important than ever.
After they send out 1,500 copies of their first edition, Adam and Chaz say they have plans for a prequel story based on the same mythology.
“We’re looking at other story ideas featuring further LGBTQ characters or themes set in the same world.
“If the first book proves popular, we’d like to tell a longer version of it on stage and or/screen and fund the creation of more books like it.”
For your chance to grab a copy of Promised Land, or to find out more about the project, visit the site here.
- Married at First SightMAFS Patrick and Belinda: 'Pat will make a great Dad!'
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- Married at First SightMAFS Bryce & Melissa: 'We're getting our own show!'
Woman's DayMay 04, 2021
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021